1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory stick

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by helenb102, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helenb102

helenb102 Thread Starter

What is the difference between a USB flash drive and a USB pen drive? There is a difference in price but that is all i can work out at the moment. Please can you help.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi helenb102,

Welcome to TSG!

According to Ask.com when I searched for usb flash drive, a USB flash drive and USB pen drive are one and the same:
    Known By Many Names

Also known as a "flash drive," "pen drive," "keychain drive," "key drive," "USB key," "USB stick" and "memory key," ...

I already knew that, but wondered if indeed there actually was some difference - so, none!

They are sold with or without bootable software (Windows) depending on mfg. I have bought 512kb, 2GB and 4GB USB flash drives. SanDisk cruzer (512KB, 2GB, 4GB) comes with Windows compatible FAT16 (I think) bootable software. On a PNY Technologies (2GB) USB flash drive which does not come with any bootable software, I partitioned and laid in a compatible file system for Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon which has the property (now) of persistent storage, so that any changes I install to it are not lost after I boot it up and install the changes - i.e. between reboots from it onto my desktop from it.

-- Tom

3. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

I'm shopping for one now myself and like the ones that Staples has because they rotate to protect the connector and also come with a lanyard with a keychain loop. The ones that just have a cap tend to get lost. The sandisk ones slide out but don't cover the connector so I'm thinkin they would get full of dirt. I have a imation 256mb that works good but I'd like at least 2-4 gig. The ones that come with a light on them are nice also cause then you know when they are finished transfering the data.

But then there's speed. I guess some have readyboost that works with VISTA .. So I'm just keeping my eye's open for a bargin.

NewEgg has allot to choose from also and cheaper.

Here is one a guy wrote he drove over it with his Truck :eek:

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703587