1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory sticks incompatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prokrastinet, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prokrastinet

prokrastinet Thread Starter

I just built a new machine and the memory sticks from my old computer wont cooperate with the new stick i just bought.

Motherboard
    -- Gigabyte K8 Triton
    Memory sticks
    -- 512mb pc3200 Corsair new
    -- 256mb pc2100 Crucial old
    -- 256mb pc2100 Kingston old

Both old sticks work fine together, and boot the system. The Corsair stick works fine and boots the system. However, the system will not even post (fans will turn on) when any combination of Old and New memory is used. What gives?

2. M.I.C.R.O.N

M.I.C.R.O.N

Your Ram should be identical, you need a pair of the same make really, although not essential, will prevent memory errors in the future, So you would need 2 sticks of 512mb pc3200 Corsair or 2 x 256 Corsair.

The difference of your ram is the PC3200, it should be PC2100. If you need to change the Ram back at the store they may not exchance it as its been opened from the Anti-Static bag.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You do not need to run the RAM in pairs but its probably best to keep them all the same speed. If your motherboard supports Dual Channel then you could use two sticks of RAM, prefeerable completely identical, to get a performance boost. If your motherbaord does not support Dual Channel then a single stick will be as good as two sticks.

You can go here to see what RAM should work with your motherboard, however you'll need the exact motherbaord model number.

Assuming this is for a motherboard with a 64 bit CPU you should be using PC3200 RAm for best performance as using PC2100 will reduce mmeory read and write performance quite signifacantly with a 64 bit processor.

4. M.I.C.R.O.N

M.I.C.R.O.N

The pairs thing, I didn't mean that you have to have pairs, only was like that for EDO ram, I meant its best to have two of the same type and make if you have 2 sticks in there.

Sorry for the confusion

5. prokrastinet

yea i know for dual channel i should have the exact same of two sticks in the system. but, i always thought that any ram in your system all run at the slowest stick in the machine. thus the pc3200 stick would run at pc2100 speeds until i was able to get another stick of 3200.

i just wanted to run all of my sticks to have 1 gig of 2100 speeds, instead of running 512mb of 3200 speeds.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unfortunately the real world doesn't always work like theory.

Not only can there be a speed issue, but it can be with latencies or compatibility issues in the manufacturing processes of different chips. Not all memory is compatibility with all motherboards and some motherboards behave differently with different combinitions.

One thing you can try is to go into the BIOS setup and set the memory speed to 266Mhz(or 133Mhz) before adding the PC3200 stick. Make sure its not set to AUTO or SPD which may try to run the RAM at 400Mhz.

7. prokrastinet

I figured it out. This motherboard (as mentioned in the user manual) will not run 3 sticks of ram of any kind regardless. I know I should have checked the mobo manual first, but half the fun is trying to figure stuff out on your own. I'll definately rememeber this later ;)

So head this warning if you ever come across this type of error again. I don't know about other motherboards, but the K8-Triton GA-K9NF-9 will not run 3 sticks of memory of any kind.

8. Derrick

Derrick

You hit it on the nose there T6. probably timings of the two are different??or his mobo doesn't support either one. :confused:

9. Derrick

Derrick

Oh yeah! thats good to know !! right on, at least you know what up EH! (y),,,,,,,,,. when in doubt read the manual :rolleyes: really though your probably better off with just the one stick of Corsair 3200.

10. prokrastinet

yea ive recently bought another stick too, so i can vouch it runs fine with 2 sticks hehe. running dual channel.

is there a way to test to see if your computer really is running dual channel? i have aida32, does that do it?

11. Derrick

Derrick

Download CPU-z

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/335320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice