1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory test or Format a Sansa Clip 1 Gig

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rbrager, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I have a Sandisk Sansa Clip ! Gig. I think that the 1 Gig may be a problem, I can't seem to find a way to do a memory test or
    a Re-Format of this device, Every now and then it will do flakey stuff. If that battery is low it will hang up in some strange mode
    that will only be solved by a full charge. This I can live with. On long MP3 files it will quit in the middle or jump to just about any other mode. However, it has no trouble with 400 or 500 meg audible files.

I would like to test the physical memory to eliminate this as a source of problems. Sansa suggests reformatting but I can't fin a way to do it on the 1 Gig version.

2. stantley

stantley

I would install the latest firmware for the player, that will do a reformat and reinstall the player software:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300/sno/0

I would also get MP3 Diags to scan your Mp3 files for errors and if necessary, repair them. Make sure you backup your Mp3 files before attempting any fixes and do one fix at a time.

3. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

Stantley, Thanks for the suggestion. Sansa depends on the tags in the file to decide what to do next. It could be that all the tag information I have in a "combined" file is the tag of the first file in the combined file. Sansa players do not have a way to process directory and file names information.

Despite some small aggravations I like the Clip well enough to order a 4 Gig version of the CLIP+. The ability to clip the small device onto a collar or pocket edge solves the problem of mp3 players destroyed by dropping onto a hard ti;e floor. I wish someone would make an add-on device for the Sansa Fuze.

4. stantley

stantley

Right it reads the basic tags like Artist, Album, Track Name, etc. There are several ways it auto plays. It will play an album by track number, it will play all tracks by an artist in alpha order and a few others. But you can also create a playlist that can have any order you like and it will play in that order. You can use Mp3tag to edit the tags.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "combined" file, it could be why the player isn't playing properly.

5. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!