Memory....uh....forgot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bigfysh

Hello ladies and gents, I hope this Christmas season is finding you well.

I am looking to upgrade my memory, decidedly my RAM. Now I was told by the guys at Circuit City that I have PCI 100 Memory, and I have no idea what that means. They also told me that the most I could get is 256 MB of RAM. So I went and bought it at an overpriced deal, and installed it. Now when I looked inside my computer where the memory stick came from and where I put in the new one there are four slots, one of which is now taken up by my brand new Kingston 256 MB of RAM.

My question is, can I get a better memory run at PCI 100 and what are all of these slots for? I am running a AMD Processor at 1.24 Ghz. When I go to the properties of My computer this is exactly what it says now:
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1.24 Ghz, 256 MB of RAM

How do I do things like overclock, and is it even worth my trying?

Also, the four slots are different colors in my computer, I don't know if that will tell you anything, but two of them are black; and that is where I have put the 256 because that is where I pulled out the 128; the other two are red, and I have no idea what they are for or how to use them.

Love in Christ,
BigFysh

SirKenin

Banned
I wouldn't overclock those things. They run too hot as it is.

Why did you take your 128 out? I would have left it in there along with the 256.

I have a feeling that the two different colored slots, although I obviously can't see the board, are to help you distinguish between SDRAM slots and DDR RAM slots. I think you will find each set slightly different, unless I miss my guess.

Bigfysh

I had two sticks of the 128 in and both wouldn't register when I checked my computer, so the My Computer Properties would only read at 128MB. Maybe it was because I had one SDRAM and the other was DDR RAM, but wouldn't the computer not run if I had it set up like that?

Bigfysh

So I put in one of the two sticks i have, I figured that the more complex looking stick was the DDR RAM, and now I have about 384 MB of RAM, or at least that is what the My Computer Properties tells me. I have a hunch that the other stick is SD RAM so is there any way to get the two different types to work together?

1st itd not pci100 its pc100 sdram, and dont assume you have the two colors because you have both slots because one the sdram is 168 pin and ddr ram is 184 pin, not the same. 2nd we need your mobo make and model number. 3rd many moboz two colors for their mem slots most of them have DDR ram slots, you will find all this info in youre manual.

SirKenin

Banned
Bigfysh said:
So I put in one of the two sticks i have, I figured that the more complex looking stick was the DDR RAM, and now I have about 384 MB of RAM, or at least that is what the My Computer Properties tells me. I have a hunch that the other stick is SD RAM so is there any way to get the two different types to work together?
You probably do have both DDR and SDRAM on that mobo. I ran into one of those again the other day. You can't put both in there at the same time.

while it is possible to have a mob with both types of slots, especially the age of your mob when the transition was taking place, I have never heard of one that will run both type at the same time. one of your posts say you had your 256 pc100 running at the same time as a 128 stick so its not DDR then. I dont know where you are getting the ddr thing from w/o knowing your mobo and not having a manual to look at.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online