Memory upgrade for Compaq Presario 5000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kendedecker

I have an old Compaq and want to increase the RAM to the maximum. Presently have two sticks of 128 SDRAM. I want to know if I can increase the RAM beyond 256 MB. What is the highest possible amount on this machine? I have searched the HP/Compaq sites endlessly but can't find out what the maximum RAM I can install. The only success on the HP/Compaq site was a out of stock stick at 128.

Compaq PC
System Serial Number: 1X07DTZ9R1T7
750 megahertz Intel Pentium III
Board: Compaq 06C0h
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686C3 04/18/2001
256 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM1' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 128 MB

dustyjay

Jay
I am certain you can go to 512Mb higher I dont know about. PC100 Ram is going to be rather expensive as compared MB for Mb to DDR ram nowdays. Though you can still find it. Try 256 Mb In each slot.

Hi,

Run through the memory check wizard on the crucial web site to determine how much memory the computer can take.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Crucial (Micron) memory is guaranteed to fit and work.

IMHO you will not go wrong with Crucial memory. I have never had any problems that they have not resolved with replcement memory, flash drive or full refund.

hth

Ceri

I checked 2 different 5000 series desktop models and both said there are 3 slots. 256 Mb each slot for a total of 768. However, there are too many 5000 series for me to be sure of the amount without having the full model #

kendedecker

Thanks, got the scan and it worked. Can go to 512MB. Now have to figure out how to get the stuff to Canada.

kendedecker

Model number is 5BW177, I just have to track down where to buy it from for Canada.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online