1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marshrat, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marshrat

marshrat Thread Starter

Just installed two 256 SDRAM chips and my system still says I have 255M of RAM. It's an IBM NetVista and I've used the correct pc133 DIMM SDRAM chips. They are Kingstons. I've checked that both are seated properly and everything works OK but system seems to think I've only 155M. I remember a program that checked memory chips cell by cell but can't remember where that was. Any suggestions? IBM people SWEAR I can go to 512 even though manual for the 2276 P23 model says 256.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Maybe your motherboard needs a BIOS update in order to recognize more memory? If the manual says 256, then that's probably it, but you may be able to flash the BIOS to get it to recognize more.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

Although IBM can be a source of good information, they can also make mistakes at times.

I have seen mismatched memory show up this way many times. All boards have restrictions as to the type of memory they will accept--single-sided, double-sided, high-density, low-density, 2-chip sticks, 4-chip sticks, 8-chip sticks, thin chips on a stick, thick chips on a stick, then there are many speeds. So you can see there are many types of memory and you can't just willie-nillie poke 'em in just because they happen to fit the slot.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I now rely on charts and selection processes offered by people like www.crucial.com.

By the way, the last time I had compatibility problems with memory, it was Kingston ValueRAM (PC133 SDRAM). It wouldn't work in about half the machines I tried it in. That was about a year ago and I think I still have two 128-meg sticks left.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Each slot has a maximum amount RAM that can be installed, this multiplied by the number of slots in the computer gives you the Maximum Total amount for the system. Hence 4 x 128 = 512MB.

If the manual says that 256MB is max then it probably is unless theres a BIOS update that ups this. There are many Netvista computer each with different specs.

There's also another factor - new PC133 sticks of RAM are NOT compatible with older computers becuase of the way they are manufactured - for one they are of higher density. It could could also be that the computer only takes single-sided or double-sided RAM and therefore is only counting half of the chip.

As mentioned above Crucial is a good place to get RAM because they'll recommend the correct RAM and guarantee it - although you can just use their info to buy the same type of RAM somewhere else.

Sometimes it just doesn't work even if it should.

Anyways, here's what Crucial recommends: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...model=NetVista+Type+2276+All+Models&submit=Go

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!