1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Upgrade Kit and more

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NBS, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NBS

NBS Thread Starter

I am in the middle of a problem. I have an Aspire Acer Computer, with Intel Pentium II on it, am running Windows 98. My C Drive is almost completely full. I bought a PNY Technologies Memory Master Upgrade Kit (128mbSDRAM) from the local Staples store today. I got home with it, and opened up the computer to try to install it, and have now discovered even though it looks like it would plug right in, it doesn't. I called Staples, they tell me there's something else in there, (the old memory I guess is what they are telling me) that I am supposed to have to take out and replace with this one. I have no clue what I am doing with this, and they would charge me 69.00 for what they said was a less than 5 minute process. I am in the process of writing a genealogy book, I have massive amounts of information stored in this computer that I could probobly never replace, so I can't take any chances on messing anything up. Money is tight, so spending 69.00 for that is not a good idea.
    Also, I am wondering if someone can tell me what these error messages may mean, and what I can do about them too.
    When I first boot up computer, I get these three messages that come up right away: the system can't find these three files that the system .Ini or windows registry refers to:
    vnetsup.vxd; vredir.vxd; and drs.vxd.
    Then after Windows comes up, I get this:
    cannott find file specified- msnp32.dll then unable to load dynamic link library- some or all of the following feature not available: Microsoft Network

ANY help at all to get these resolved would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. brianF

brianF

3. brianF

brianF

4. NBS

NBS Thread Starter

Just had to write thanks- about a million times over for those links- esp the installation one- the pictures alone say a thousand words-
    Just from what I remember seeing this afternoon, I know now I can do it myself- thanks to that site. First thing in the morning, now I know I can at least make sure have the right thing to use, if not can exchange for right one. (Now that I know what I am looking for!)
    Thanks again!

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If you have irreplaceable data on your hard drive, then you have to have a backup method. Computers are not immortal. Eventually, you'll encounter a problem that will result in some data loss. I would suggest getting a CD-RW drive or a Zip drive.

FYI, any time you take your computer in for repair, you'll almost definitely have to sign a form that says the technician is not responsible for any data loss. I know Staples has a service contract like that.

6. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Just a quick question because I don't truly understand the problem you are having.

You bought more RAM because your C drive is almost completely full? If you hard drive is almost full and the computer is running fine - RAM is the least of your worries. Either buying something to remove some of the info on the C drive to another media (ZIP or CDRW) or buying another hard drive would be the answer. Spending money on the RAM will not help you on the getting more space on the C drive aspect.

Hope this helps. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice