Memory Upgrade Malfunction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RBG

I have an Elite Group K7SEM v.1.2b mother board that has two memory slots that will take up to 512MB each for a total of 1GB (went to Crucial for correct module info and also checked with Elite Group). I've been using two 256MB modules for a total of 512MB.
I just purchased two 512MB modules (ULTRA 512MB, PC133 CL3 SDR) to upgrade to 1GB. When I install both modules and reboot, it shows the upgrade was successful but never quite finishes booting up. It gets to a point where it says "Boot from CD : None..." and then stops with the green light on in my empty floppy drive. When I remove one of the modules and reboot (either one) the computer boots just fine.
Is there something I need to do in the BIOS or am I forgetting something that might cause this to be happening? I'm running WIN 98SE with an AMD ATHLON 1.3 and a WD120 HD. Theres a picture of where the bootup stops
in the attachment.

RBG

Attachments

RBG

Yes, both new modules are...
ULTRA 512MB PC133 CL3 SDR 133MHz ULT30078

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You really don't want to exceed 512 MB of RAM with Windows 98SE.

RBG

What needs to be done to tweak the cache to make it work?
Also, is there any reason I shoulden't exceed 512MB on this win98se system?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Besides the problems that it can cause with Windows 98SE, there's no real performance gain between 512 MB - 1024 MB.

I doubt you will see any performance benefit from a gig of ram either unless you are running some extremely memory intensive programs on Win98 -- and this would make little sense given that the processor speed is likely to be a hangup in getting the most of out them.

However if you want to makd the tweak, go to start and run system.ini

Look for a [Vcache] header; if none is there, make one.

Under the header enter:

MaxFileCache=524288

You can also reduce that figure if problems still occur.

if you want to benefit from a gig of ram you need to change your OS to 2000 or XP! 98 does not know how to handle anything over 512, unless you do some heavy computing you don't need, (a gig of ram) & if you do you need to change your OS anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online