1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory upgrade & monitor probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thechihuahua, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thechihuahua

thechihuahua Thread Starter

I have 2 separate problems:

I upgraded the memory in my laptop (ENPOWER 800 series) from 64 mb (2-32mb SDRAM) to 128 mb (1-64mb SDRAM & 2-32mb), but it seems to be running slower than before. I've got windows (98 SE) managing my memory, that's about all I know as far as the memory config.

The other prob is I just got a desktop monitor given to me, but the green is burned out (I guess), the screen has a purplish hue to it & the red & blues are very neon. Can it be fixed or shall I trash it?

2. n2gun

n2gun

When you put the new memory in, did you put the 64 in the first slot? If not try that. Also does it recognize it on bootup, when it counts memory on first screen??

Personally I think the monitor may not be worth messing with. There not very much inside you could do anything with. One thing you may try first though is to open it and very carefully pull the connector off the end of the picture tube, then slide it off and on a few times. May just be a little corrosion on contacts. Be careful as there is 20,000 volts inside a monitor even when turned off. the (usually red) wire that plugs into the side of the tube charges the tube to around that voltage and the tube will hold that charge unless you know how to discharge it.

3. $teve

$teve

n2 is right about the ram......also check your system information to see if its recognized,you would be better with 2x64meg sticks or 1x128.
    and the monitor is only good for keeping goldfish in im afraid.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice