1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Upgrade Not Working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by php guy, Apr 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. php guy

php guy Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a ThinkPad T480 that shipped with a single, 8GB memory. I want to upgrade to 32GB. I used the Crucial scan tool and it recomended the following upgrade. It also says on the page that it is in fact compatible with the T480:

Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD824A

However, when I installed the new memory, the computer wouldn't boot (the power button briefly lights up but then the screen stays black. the fan starts for a second or two, then goes off). No beeps or anything else.

I then tried installing a single DIM at a time of the new memory and still same black screen.

Any idea what might be causing this? Doubt the memory itself is bad since I have two DIM's to try out and neither work. Could this memory really be incompatible even though everything says it is compatible?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Have you tried putting the original 8GB DIMM back in to see if it will POST?

3. php guy

php guy Thread Starter

Yes, the original 8gb DIMM still boots without any issues.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, that's good. At least the laptop is still functioning, so let's turn to the replacement DIMMs. First things first: go here and see if you need to download the BIOS update, which was released last month. If so, install, reboot, ensure it's working properly, power down fully, and then try the new DIMMs again.

It's not outwith the bounds of possibility they've sent you defective DIMMs, but let's chase down some other possibilities first.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you buy it directly from crucial, they life time warranty it, I bought some from them about 2 years ago and tested them and on had errors on memtest so I had to send them back and the second pair was fine so it can happen. Yes the
    CT2K16G4SFD824A
    Configuration ID: CT11970138 is supposed to fit.

6. php guy

php guy Thread Starter

Thanks! My current BIOS was from a year ago, so I updated that. Unfortunately, the issue still happened after the update.

As a hail mary, I threw one of the new 16gb DIMMs in and left the old 8 DIMM stick in and the laptop booted without issue. It shows 24 GB of installed memory (23.8 usable). Does that rule out the possibility of defective DIMM's? Why would it be able to boot with the old DIMM + one new DIMM but not even post with just the new DIMM?

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Did you follow this factory procedure?

9. php guy

php guy Thread Starter

The packaging itself has CT2K16G4SFD824A. The DIMMs have CT16G4SFD82A.M16FB (assuming the difference is the DIMM reflects the capacity and the packaging reflects 2 DIMMs?).

What specifically would I be looking for in the BIOS? I did see some option called "memory guard" or something like that, but I couldn't find anything about it online.

And yes, I followed the factory procedure.

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sorry, the bios being a laptop probably doesn't have settings like a desktop. I think the computers get real picky when you have 16GB on stick. You said you got 1 Crucial to work paired with the original memory. Can you try the other crucial stick with the original memory? What are the numbers on the original? I tried to look for a recommended list for your T480 memory and didn't find one. You might contact Crucial or see if you can return them as not being compatible.

11. php guy

php guy Thread Starter

Yep, the other Crucial DIMM also works with the original Samsung stick. The weird thing is that on the comments list for memory, I saw other users saying they had success with the exact same kit on their T480's.

Since I'm running 24GB now, I think I'm just gonna throw in the towel and run the original 8 and a new 16 together, that's plenty for my purposes. I have a buddy with a T480 running the same original 8GB, so I'm just going to split the cost of the 32gb kit and he can use the other 16GB DIMM. Thanks for all the help though!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice