1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suegar1, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS 600 - Win XP Pro OS - I am not getting any error messages - The machine came with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, upgradable to 8 GB. There are 4 memory slots. I purchased 8 GB or DDR2 RAM - 4 X 2 GB and installed it. When booting up I can go into setup and it shows 8 GB of RAM. The machine does not seem to be faster or load programs any quicker. If I go to the Start menu - then click on Control Panel - then click on Performance & Maintanence - then System it only shows 2 GB. Do I need to change any other settings for this to read the full 8GB's of ram? Is this information correct or is it really using the 8 GB I installed? How can I tell? I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you in advance.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The "setting" you have to change is your OS, from 32-bit to 64-bit.

RAM limits for various OS's

You might also check the manufacturer's specifications for your board.

3. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

Mr. Ethridge, first of all I would like to thank you for your prompt response, I really appreciate it. So, it looks like there is no way to use all of the available memory with my current OS. If I install Win 7-64 bit, will this solve the problem, will my computer utilize all 8 GB of RAM? Again, thank you for your help.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Frankly, I have almost no experience with troubleshooting problems that are unique to 64-bit operating systems and none with the limitations of 32-bit as related to maximum RAM so all I know is this:

Your hardware must be capable of supporting the RAM you install and the software must be, too.

I am concerned that your 32-bit OS reports only two Gigs of RAM when the chart I referred you to says it will see more than two. That is about as far as my knowledge takes me.

Click Start> right-click My Computer> click properties. How much RAM is shown there?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Boot.ini(tab) - Advanced Options.

Is MaxMem checked and does it have a number in it?

If it is, uncheck it, apply the change, then restart the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

Mr. Ethridge, Tried Start - R/click My Computer - Properties and it still showed 2 GB. I also removed two 2 GB chips and it still reads 2GB. Thanks for your suggestion(s) - someone else responded to my question and I am going to try their fix and see if that helps. Thank you again for your time and trouble. Will let you know if this other fix works.

7. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

Flavallee, No luck. The /MAXMEM was not checked. Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Oh well. :eek:

That was the problem recently with another user, so I thought it might be the same for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

Really, I do appreciat it. I ran a scan from Crucial Scan, and it basically said I needed the 64 bit version of Win XP to utilize more than 2 GB of memory. It see's the 8 GB of RAM but says Win XP 32 bit can not use more than 2 GB's. Since my computer is only reading 2 GB I am assuming that it is the 32 bit version - I'm not sure how to check what version I have but it would stand to reason with the problem I'm having. Anyone got a spare version of Win XP 64 bit????
    Thanks again...

10. tonysleuth

tonysleuth

Hi,

I thought the limit for a 32bit system is 4Gb of ram....this is then reduced due to MMIO (just found this bit out).

The article from Microsoft is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

No expert at all but it seems it should be reading over the 2Gb.

I have windows 7 32 bit running with 4Gb of ram installed and it shows 3.5Gb as available for use.

Have you tried running memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/ it may show the new ram to be faulty (don't get me started...errr).

Just curious as to what shows up if you go:
    Start> run> and type (without inverted comas) "dxdiag"

Hope this helps:)

11. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

Thanks. If you look at the first post you will see that the memory shows up if you go into setup while booting up - dxdiag shows 2046 MB of RAM or 2 GB - the other 6 GB does not show up. Thanks for you help.

12. suegar1

suegar1 Thread Starter

The memory is all new, 4X2 GB's. All the RAM is compatible and I am not mixing old & new or different brands of RAM. Thanks.

13. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If I remember correctly, you can run Windows 7 for 30 days without a product key having been entered during setup. If that is true (and you do need to verify that), I would image the current OS for a safety net, borrow a friend's Windows 7, 64-bit and install it just to see if that solves the problem.

You will need an actual Windows 7, 64-bit setup disk. A system recovery disk from another system will NOT do.

If it works out, go purchase your own 64-bit OS and proceed from there. If not, you can always restore the image I suggested above.

There may be other ways and/or better ways to troubleshoot this problem; but, that is one I would try.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice