1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

memory usage for windows media play in windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ericchan, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ericchan

Ericchan Thread Starter

When I run the application of windows media player wihtout playing any video files, I test the memory usage in the following aspects: working set, pages files, virtual memory.

When I play the mp3 in the background and connect the internet in the foreground in the windows media player, the working set, pages files, virtual memory all increase.

Who can tell me why the virtual memroy increase?
    why the page files increase?
    why the working set increase?

2. Ericchan

Ericchan Thread Starter

how ever when i play different types of media file,like mp3,MPEG.
    the woking set and privage pages is approprixmate same. the virtul address is different.

Anyone can explain what is happend?

3. Ericchan

Ericchan Thread Starter

is there anyone can answer my question?

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not sure if anyone could specifically answer your question. It's happening based on the needs of the application(s) that are running.

Is there a problem you're having that's causing you to look at the specific resource changes and usage?

5. Ericchan

Ericchan Thread Starter

No,i just want to analyse the memory usage for the windows media player in windows XP?
    I know why the virtual memory will be different. becuase it depend on the programming code in the application. however, i do not clear the activity of working set and page files. i think there has reasons.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The page file is the virtual memory and the OS will increase or decrease the paging based on the apps needs and the amount of Physical RAM installed in the PC.

7. Ericchan

Ericchan Thread Starter

Thank you very much, Bryan. I like this forum.

Do you know some forums discussing the windows internals?

8. MickyD

MickyD

Hi I am have the same problem I think!I only have to open media player and the virtual memory starts to increase and does'nt seem to stop. It wont let me play any music because it keeps cutting out. I have closed all other applications reinstalled, rebooted, virus checked and allsorts. I'm stumped so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

MickyD:

Download and install HiJackThis

Then, run it and copy/paste the created log back here.

****Please do this in a NEW thread, not as a Reply to this one, and repeat exactly what your problem is.

Tx

10. MickyD

MickyD

OK I have done that, I hope it helps.
    Thanks very much.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/346569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice