Memory usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kekwLenovo

I bought a new pc for gaming this lenovo legion y530 and i downloaded some games and the pc showed i have low memory storage so i checked the disc that is given was full but when i checked avalable memory it said 6.15GB out of 8GB can you help me to use more of the ram

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
From what I can determine, the Lenovo Legion Y530 15.6" laptop comes with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and these specs:
Intel Core i5-8300H 2.30 GHz quad core processor
8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
256 GB PCIe solid state storage drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics

Please do the following in yours:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

The storage drive and RAM are 2 completely different things when it comes to memory.
If the storage drive is too full or if there's insufficient RAM, both can cause problems.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
After reading the OP a couple of times, I suspect that it's the SSD that's showing as full rather than memory.

He has indicated that he's downloaded a few games and with some of the modern, bloated games out there (I'm looking at you CoD: MW - 180GB!!) 256gb isn't going to stretch very far.

texasbullet

Ramon
"when i checked avalable memory it said 6.15GB out of 8GB can you help me to use more of the ram".
This is what I understood. Maybe if he can specify exactly what he really means.

kekwLenovo

so i tried to make a new disc like the fuul one is given i checked disk managment it said 8MB UNOLLOCATED so i used that sapce to make a new disc like C but i cant do anything with it welp i dont know would instaaling more RAM HELP

texasbullet

Ramon
so i tried to make a new disc like the fuul one is given i checked disk managment it said 8MB UNOLLOCATED so i used that sapce to make a new disc like C but i cant do anything with it welp i dont know would instaaling more RAM HELP
You can install up to 32 GB of RAM into your laptop. Do not mess with c drive because you will make things worse.
256 GB of PCI storage seems pretty good but not sure about how much space your games may take.

kekwLenovo

OK TY FOR YOUR HELP ONE LAST question can increase the usable memorie space

OK TY FOR YOUR HELP ONE LAST question can increase the usable memorie space
No.....it's a laptop with built in GPU. That memory that GPU uses is being taken from (this is referred to as "SHARED" memory) your total 8gb amount, thus leaving you with 6.15 gig of ram.

The only way to increase your usable amount of RAM is to physically add more.

That said, the link Frank provided shows that you have a nvidia gtx 1060 with 6gb of ram. What you need to do is go into you laptop BIOS and change the default for GPU from your onboard (Intel) to the Nvidia GPU.

kekwLenovo

U.
[/QUOTE]
What
From what I can determine, the Lenovo Legion Y530 15.6" laptop comes with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and these specs:
Intel Core i5-8300H 2.30 GHz quad core processor
8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
256 GB PCIe solid state storage drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics

Please do the following in yours:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

The storage drive and RAM are 2 completely different things when it comes to memory.
If the storage drive is too full or if there's insufficient RAM, both can cause problems.

-------------------------------------------------
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200405102721.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (41 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n PF1J7KUF
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF1J7KUF
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

What

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200405102721.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (41 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n PF1J7KUF
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF1J7KUF
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
[/QUOTE]
See....its using the GPU off of the CPU.....it's call Intel graphics and your's is UHD Graphics 630. So does your laptop model actually have the embedded, split GPU from Nvidia?

kekwLenovo

i have literraly 0 idea what you sad but why is my pc so loud and keeps beeing so loud while i play games and i guess the only thing i gotta do is install more RAM?

texasbullet

Ramon
i have literraly 0 idea what you sad but why is my pc so loud and keeps beeing so loud while i play games and i guess the only thing i gotta do is install more RAM?
Your Hard drive is low on space. If you have a spare external hard disk drive move some of your documents in there.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to your log:

You have THIS Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH Machine Type 81FV Model 014GLT 15.6" laptop.
It came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and is under warranty until March 2021.
It came with a single 8 GB module of DDR4-2666 RAM.
It came with a 256 GB PCIe solid state drive.

What you said in post #1 indicates you have filled the solid state drive with games and other apps.

What bassfisher6522 said in post #10 is correct.
Part of your laptop's 8 GB of RAM is being used as shared memory by its graphics device.
If you want your laptop to have more usable RAM, you need to add more.
It has 2 memory slots and only one is occupied, so you should add another 8 GB module in its empty slot.

------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online