1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory wont work!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chevyguy123, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chevyguy123

chevyguy123 Thread Starter

I have a hp media center that can take dual channel ram or ddr ram. and it has 4 open slots. The computer came with (2) x 256 mb sticks. I bought a 512mb and i want to use them all. but when i put the 256 in an open slot the cpu wouldnt work, so i rearrange them so it would in the following order.

slot 1 - 256mb
    slot 3 - 256mb
    slot 2- 512mb
    slot 4 - none.

this is the way my motherboard is setup up with slot 1 and 3 and then 2 and 4. would the reason why i cant use 1024mb becasue the last 3 and 4 are ment for dual sticks? if that is the case can i just switch the 256mb to slots 3 and 4 and the 512mb to slot 1????? :confused: :confused:

Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So it is working now correct?

The slots are most likely color coded ie pairs of memory in the blue slots or yellow slots. When you run a config like you posted, the 2X256 are running in dual channel mode and the single 512 is running in single channel mode.

3. chevyguy123

They are working, but i still cant use the one 256? my colors are blue and black. Blue being slots 1and 2 and black being 3 and 4.

When i first tried to put them in the (2) 256mb were in slots 1 and 2. and i put the 512 in slot 3. the computer would go into windows. untill i switched the 256mb (slot 2) with the 512mb. Right now it only gives me 768mb.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are these ram chips all from the same mfg and are they all the same speed? If not, you may have a problem; dual channel systems like the memory to be of the same mfg and speed. Some boards are more picky about this than others; some will run 2X256 of different mfg in dual channel mode and others will not.

One other thought; have you checked the manual for your mb for approved memory configuration? It will show what chips can go in what banks. Sometimes it will give a list of approved venders as well.

5. chevyguy123

The (2) 256 mb are from the hp manf. and the 512mb is not its from ultra. the manual says it supports ddr and dual channel. didnt say which slots though.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have a bad slot on the board. Have you tried each chip in each slot?

Another thought, have you checked hps site for a possible bios update that addresses memory issues?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The blue slots generally need to be filled first, single channel. When you add to the black slots you go dual channel. If the memory isn't the same brand and speed as well as the same CL sometimes the board spits at the ram.

What happens if you put the 2 256 in slots 3 and 4, and put the 512 in slot 1?
    You might be able to "trick" the board into running it that way. I know you would be leaving a blue slot empty but it might work.

If it doesn't I'll leave you with crjdriver. You are in good hands with him.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice