1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by southerngq, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. southerngq

southerngq Thread Starter

In my system, I have the original 128Mb RAM module and 2
    128Mb Ram modules that I have installed.

How do I know if these modules are compatible or not?

Can I tell by looking at the chip?

What can I do to ensure that these chips work perfectly together?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Generally if they fit in the slot and work without errors, they are compatable :)

If you are seeing problems you suspect are memory related, then the easist thing to do is boot with one stick and see if the problems dissappear then swap sticks around until you track the problem down.

The best way to see exactly what type of memory you need is to look at the manual for your motherboard/go to your manufacturers website and see what is recommended.

www.kingston.com and www.crucial.com have pretty good memory configurators also.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If there are no markings on the memory, it will be difficult if you don't know what you bought. You might also consult your MB manual to see what the requirements for your system are. Finally, you can download Belarc Advisor and see what it tells you about your memory speed. You can determine the speed from the actual chips on the memory module, but you'll have to go looking at the manufacturer's website for the specifications.

4. southerngq

southerngq Thread Starter

resolved

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

HOW?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice