1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GUSMAN, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    I'm really not sure where to post this, apologies if its totally in the wrong place.
    I am doing a 15 Min talk in college about Memory (SD Ram, DDR Ram) and I wanted to clear a few things up before I do it.

Some mobos have both sd ram dimms and ddr dimms as an option. I know you cant mix the SD with the DDR but lets say if you had a stick of SD ram pc 100 and a stick pc 133, could you mix these?? and like wise if you had pc 2100 ddr stick and a pc 2700 stick, could you mix these?

If the mobo could only take a certain amount of memory, what would be the effect of putting too much in?

and what is the base 64k of memory used for, and where does it come from? (is it built into the mobo??)

any help would be great and I apologise once again if this is in the wrong section

Cheers

Gus

2. zupadupa

zupadupa

Yes you can mix them, but there is no benefit in doing so. If you mix two different speeds of memory then the motherboard/system will drop down to the slowest frequency. IE: if you mix pc 100 and pc 133 it will run at pc 100, if you mix pc 2100 with pc 2700 then it will run at pc2100 so essentially you lose some speed and there is no point in doing so.

As for the other questions, I am not sure but I am sure someone else will know.

I hope this helps.

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that, I appreciate it. If anyone can help with the other bit I would be really greatfull.

Cheers
    Gus

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice