memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lowinigan

i am considering buying a used memory stick on ebay i have a pentium 4 and the stick is from a pentium 3 does this matter ?
as far as i can see from the manual for the mother board every thing is the same
and will this memory contain any info from other computer or is all info lost when disconnected from board
thanx alot

im running pent 4 1,8 gig with 80 gig hard drive and windows xp
and asus mother board the stick im considering is even the same brand name as what in my pc now

any info appreciated
thanx

RAM memory loses all the contents the monemt the power is removed.

But I would be surprised if the memory from a P3 will be fast enough for a P4, you need to check the speed and the actual type (RAM comes in many types, shapes etc)

Just because both motherboards were ASUS means nothing, unless they were both identical models (which is most unlikely given one is a P3 and yours is a P4)

Kiwiguy is right. You are about to embark on an ill-advised adventure.

Go to Crucial and/or Kingston and use their memory configurators. Learn exactly what memory and how much of it your computer takes. Then go shopping.

if its a late model PIII, yes, it most likely will work

Thats the short answer. The next is dont do it- I do like "about to embark an an ill-advised adventure"

If it works (as in you have a DDR board and your buying DDR-266 or something of the like) you now have a very large bottleneck (Which is probably why your buying memory in the first place!) I believe that the speed of RAM is limited to the fasted transfer speed of the slowest module.

Simply stated: If you buy DDR-266 and your computer currently has PC2100, guess what speed were running at?

....which brings up something I just thought about whilst typing- When did we stop naming it DDR-(speed) and just lump it into PC(speed)?

dustyjay

Jay
DDR266 and PC2100 are the same thing. This would not cause a bottle neck. Using PC2100 and PC2700 There would be a bottle neck running the PC2700 at the PC2100 Speeds. But then it is doubtfull if a person who has been using PC2100 all along would notice any difference caused by the bottle neck.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Buying memory from eBay is a dubious undertaking. I suggest you shop for deals at a more reputable vendor, not the fly-by-night characters that are plentiful on eBay. :rolleyes:

lowinigan

the motherboard manual says i need unbuffered ecc or non ecc pc 100/133 sdram
the item for sale is pc 133 unbuffered as far as i can see it is the same
the seller garrentees that it will work fine or money back i cant see any problems
i know buying used in not always good but ive had good luck so far on ebay
thanx for inputany other suggestions or tips are appreciated

If you're bargain-hunting, find out who is recycling computers in your area. Chances are that they have the memory you need for a small price.

Just make sure that the shop will allow a return if your comp doesn't "like" a particular stick.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online