1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Memtest86

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toosneaky, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toosneaky

Toosneaky Thread Starter

hey guys!
    hey i have a question, i have been having issues with my pc bad slow downs, i mean my pc is so slow that i actually have wait about 2 minutes from going to one place another, and there are times that i have to go back of the pc and shut it down manually, because it take to dam long to shut down. so a friend of mine recommended to do a memtest86 and i ran it but there is one thing how do u tell what wrong what do i have to look for in the test to let me know that the memory is bad.
    just incase these are specs to my pc, if by any chance is not enough information please let me know.
    thank you i really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

My spec are:
    A8N32SLI Motherboard
    Kinston Hyper X Memory 2GB but 4 sticks of 512
    2 SLI 7900 GT/GTO Video Cards
    CPU DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4400+

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Memtest will give you errors if the memory is bad.

Slow speeds are more likely a systemm problem than a memory problem though.

Are you up to date on AV and scans?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot up with the memtest media and run it. If you see any "errors" the RAM is bad. There can be no errors whatsoever with RAM.

4. Toosneaky

Toosneaky Thread Starter

what kind of errors would it be, would it tell me in the color red, because i see at the middle of the screen to the bottom that every thing goes red and it would say something like this in that stats: test #4, test 42%, pass 14%, 6 errors am not sure what to look for within the test this why i im writiing u this. and what or where in the system will it be the problem, do uhave a clue where would it be? is it a heat thing or a processor or etc... can you please tell what do u think.
    thanx

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its saying there are errors then you've found at least part of the problem. Do you have more then one stick of RAM? Have you tried cleaning the computer and the memory slots if they are dirty and reseating the memory by pulling it out and then putting it back in?

6. Soundy

Soundy

Memtest will note any errors found in red, it's pretty hard to miss.

There are lots of other reasons your computer may be slow; memory is not likely one of them. Bad memory is more likely to cause crashes and corrupted data.

7. Toosneaky

Toosneaky Thread Starter

is there any chance u can give me some kind of idea what would make my pc slow, i cant take this anymore. i feel like shooting this pc. i feel like i got pigeons in my pc, lol. that how slow it gets.
    anyone out here cangive me somekind of idea why my pc is that slow.

8. Soundy

Soundy

A few very common possibilities, much more likely than bad memory:

1. Not enough memory.
    2. Not enough free drive space.
    3. Fragmented hard drive.
    4. Too much intentionally-installed "background" junk running.
    5. Spyware.
    6. Viruses.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disk errors can also slow things down, so run chkdsk on all drives.

10. herhubby86

herhubby86

I recently built a new computer and everything worked fine for a month. Then I came in one morning and my computer was dead. It crashed and restarted everytime I tried to reboot. I'd get partway through the Windows repair process and it would crash again. Even DOS level apps were crashing. After lots of hair pulling, I tracked down a copy of Memtest86 and ran it. Lots of errors, all shown in Red.

I wasn't really sure what the results were "supposed" to be, but it didn't seem like I should be getting RAM errors. So, I picked up a couple of new RAM modules and ran the test again. I STILL had errors, though not as many as before.

After more head scratching, I pulled the modules out, then reinstalled one by one testing each module individually. My old module was bad, and one of the new modules was bad also! But the third module tested perfectly.

Long story short, if you're getting RAM errors, get new memory. You'll never have a stable system if the memory is flakey. Make sure you test it after installation, as new memory can be faulty too.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice