1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Menu shifting incorrectly

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by caraewilton, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caraewilton

caraewilton Thread Starter

Hi guys. I am using one of Stu Nichols' menu on my website.

In Safari, Chrome and apparently older versions of firefox, this menu sometimes shifts incorrectly. Have a look at the screen shots. The menu preforms correctly in Internet Explorer, Firefox 3 and Opera.

To make things more interesting, the menu works correctly in Safari on my blog page. The blog page is using the exact same menu css sheet as the other pages, however it has a different layout structure, only slightly though and is an xml page not an htm page.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies with my layout, and the page layout is affecting how the menu shifts.

Here are the links to my style sheets:
    General style sheet
    Menu style sheet

I would be delighted if anybody could shed some light of why this is happening.

Many thanks
    Cara

Attached Files:

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I think the problem is related to your main page being a HTML 4 document and your blog being a XHTML document. Stu uses a strict XHTML document for the menu to force ALL the browsers into strict standards mode. Then he uses conditional comments to get IE to behave. If you're going to use Stu's menus, I suggest sticking with a strict XHTML document as he does in his sample pages.

Good luck!

Peace...

3. caraewilton

Mmm, I have wondered about that, also noticed that when I was writing this post. Is there a big difference between html and xhtml? I have never created an xhtml document, bar modifying that blog. I have noticed that it uses things like </br> as apposed to <br> and div's without content can be written as <div id=demo />
    Would it be difficult to convert my pages?

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

You can learn about the differences between HTML 4 and XHTML 1 here. It wouldn't be difficult to convert your pages but it would be time consuming if you wanted the page to validate as XHTML.

Peace...

5. caraewilton

Thanks for the link. Seems like a bit of hassle to do this now:( Might be easier to just find a another menu....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice