1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merge / combine multiple Excel Spreadsheets - possible?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Reconsniper1, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reconsniper1

Reconsniper1 Thread Starter

Hello!

Here is my current project / problem.

I have several Excel Spreadsheets. Lets call them text.xls, test1.xls, test2.xls, and test3.xls

All 4 spreadsheets have the same columns (date / name / amount / cause / solution).

Is it possible to make a VB script within Excel that would copy the contents of all 4 spreadsheets and put them in a one .xls. If that is indeed possible, is there a way to also tell it not to copy the stuff already on the spreadsheet so there are no duplicates.

Thanks,
    T

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

T, yes it can be done by a VBA macro. is this a "one off" requirement or do you need to do this regularly?

3. Reconsniper1

I'm unfamiliar with the one off terminology but I would say that I would run it monthly or whenever needed. I know I can just copy and paste the information but I would rather have it automatically done. I took VB in high school but that was so long ago that it has been forgotten. Any help would greatly be appreciated..

Thanks!

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

It would be possible to do this even easier, perhaps, in Access (I know OBP could help you with this too) and then export them back to Excel.

5. jimr381

jimr381

That sounds like a find unmatched query that is being converted into an append query.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yeah - in Access it would take what, 15 minutes at the most?

7. jimr381

jimr381

Aye at the most.

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Arrrrgh, that would be a fine bit of treasure, that method....

9. Reconsniper1

I know I can make tables in Access and then just do Queries but I'm wanting to merge Excel spreadsheets so I can have them in separate locations on the hard drive. So can anyone help on this?

10. sohel08

sohel08

Is it possible to make a VB script within Excel that would copy the contents of all 4 spreadsheets and put them in a one .xls. If that is indeed possible, is there a way to also tell it not to copy the stuff already on the spreadsheet so there are no duplicates.

11. Reconsniper1

Thanks for repeating part of my question again :confused:

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

13. jimr381

jimr381

Be nice, he is just rephrasing or brainstorming. We are all trying to help you here.

14. Reconsniper1

I meant no disrespect by that.. It just confused me.

Thanks for the VBA info. Do you know if there is any way to tell it to pull the .xls file from different directories rather than it having to be all in the same directory?

Thanks,
    T

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Reconsniper1: I suggest you go join VBA Express and ask your questions there. You might like the site as much as I do...even tho TechGuy has my roots.

And sohel08 confused me, too. I actually thought it was you logged in under a second name.

I was Recon, too. VQ2 (Navy). A VERY long time ago.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/735554