1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merge field formats in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by melonhead, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I'm using Office XP. I have a document merged with Access. Inside the Word document some of the merged fields are text, and some of the merged fields are currency. In earlier versions of Word, the merged results would be the same format as the format used in Access, ie. if you had a data entry in Access that was $5.00 it would show up as $5.00 in the merged field in Word. However, I cannot get the merged field in XP to show up as currency. It only is shown as The fields that are currency will not show up as a currency value, only as a regular number. I tried the numeric picture field switch in Word help, but that didn't work either. I have these merged fields in a table. However, I have also tried them not in a table with the same result.

While I'm asking, I would also like a field not to show up in Word if it is equal to $0.00. Is there any easy way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yeah...I gotta look. Be right back. :)

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    { MergeField "Amount" \# "$#,000.00" }

And then probably for the whole shi-bang:

{IF{MergeField "Amount" = 0,"",{ MergeField "Amount" \# "$#,000.00" } }

4. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks! You are awesome. I always read your responses and learn from they. You are like the Office Queen.

The first equation worked, but the second one did not. It keeps showing the {If 0. I don't want it to show anything if the value is zero.

Why did Microsoft make this so difficult? It was so easy before! I would think they would be getting lots of complaints. I know I will be visiting their website. Hopefully they'll get a patch.

I've got two sick kids and so I've got to go. I'll check back later and see if you have any other suggestions!

Thanks again.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Try this then:

{IF{MergeField "Amount" = "0","",{ MergeField "Amount" \# "$#,000.00" } }

...I added quotes around that lone zero.

(Changed the title of your question to be more appropriate for searchers...)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice