Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merge partitions on external drive

Solved 
976 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Serge2012 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an external drive which was the internal drive of my older laptop and I'd like to find out how to merge the four partitions into one. Here's the information : Disk 1 Basic 465.75 GB - 260 MB Healthy (EFI System partition) - Media (E:) 445.11 GB Exfat Healthy (Basic Data Partition) - 965 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition) - 19.44 GB. I'd like to expand the Media partitions and remove the other ones without deleting my files in that partition of course!...

Thanks for your help,

Serge

#2 ·
should not be done. of course you can do what you want but you would lose the ability to recover if your windows becomes corrupted and the ability to boot if you deleted the wrong partition. If you need space for more media, I would suggest getting a bigger drive or an external drive.

#7 ·
To add to my previous post, you will have to do it step by step I think, so

1) delete the first partition you don't want to keep
2) make a new one in the newly created space
3) then merge it
then repeat from 1) for the 2nd partition you want to remove.

It would be easier and safer to just delete the last partition and create a new one with it's own drive letter, without merging. The other 2 small partitions are so small recovering the space won't do much good.

#10 ·
Well, I wrote earlier a message and I didn't use AOMEI for a while but when I closed the program it applied my changes, however I can't merge the first and third partition to the main second partition because the program only merge NTFS and FAT32 partitions the main partition is in EXFAT....

#8 ·
Thanks for all your messages. I couldn't find any option to delete partition in Disk Management when I right clicked on my mouse... I tried to delete some partitions in AOMEI but I still see them and now the status of my drive in AOMEI is Disk 1 first partition capacity : 277.00 MB free space : 277 MB - second and main .partition Media "series /shows" capacity : 445.11 free space : 9.32 GB and third partition capacity : 20.38 GB free space 20.38 GB. When I right click on the first one I only have two options "merge" or create partition" , same thing for the third one. For the second and main one I have almost all the options except "move, merge, split and allocate free space". Here's a pic, sorry for the quality!

Attachments

#11 ·
Ok Well I did a few changes and now I was able to format the first and the third partition to the same format "ExFAT" as the main partition but I'm still struggling how to merge all them together. I don't see that option in Disk Management and in AOMEI and EaseUS partition "merge" is not highlighted...

#13 ·
Are you still struggling (as in post # 11)?

If so, by formatting the 1st and 3rd partitions you have essentially deleted anything in them. So, just delete those two partitions and then you can resize the 2nd partition to include the unallocated space to the left and right of it. You may have to first move the 2nd partition to get all the unallocated space to its right side.

I have zero experience with merging partitions, so I have no clue how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.