Merge to word from Excel / Automatic section breaks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maria Car

When merging data from excel to a blank word page I keep getting section breaks after each line of data merged from excel. I've tried clearing all formats from excel before merging, when viewing excel in page view there are no breaks. On the word page it is a "new" page completely blank. I insert the merge fields only. I've tried several times each time it inserts "section breaks" and therefore gives me one line of data per page.
How can I get rid of the breaks and or tell how they are being inserted?

Anne Troy

Anne
If you have created a mailmerge main document (the coded file), and you are putting more than one record in it, you must insert the word field "Next record".

Suppose I want to list names and addresses down a document. I'd put it something like this (I cannot include the greater than/less than characters for the merge codes because HTML will not show the text, so I've used dashes instead.)

--firstname-- --lastname--
--street address--
--city-- --state-- --zip--

--nextrecord-- --firstname-- --lastname--
--street address--

--street address--

--street address--

Word automatically puts a section break between merged letters. If you have a merged letter that does NOT exceed the end of the page, perhaps the information after merging forces it just enough to go beyond the bottom of the page, thus 2 pages. Just delete some paragraph returns in your document. Other than that, I'd need to see the file to see what's wrong and what you're attempting. Email to techsupportgirl@home.com.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online