1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

merging documnets in word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mayah, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mayah

Mayah Thread Starter

hi..i have several documents each with different fonts/format/style ...how can i merge all these word documnets in ONE document without losing the format. i tried insert and i tried copy/paste but it messes up the format of each doc.
    please help

thanx

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    The easiest way is to choose the file that contains the styles you want to use in all of them.

Save that file as a template.

Open each doc and go to Tools-Templates and Addins, and attach the new template.

This WILL change your styles, but the documents should all "match".

I that's not acceptable, then you shouldn't merge them.

In that case, let me know what you're trying to accomplish by merging, and I'll see if I can help more.

I'm moving this to the Business applications forum, where it belongs.

3. Mayah

Mayah Thread Starter

thanx..
    maybe i shouldn't have used the word "merge". but what i meant was simply if you have over 30 seperate word documents and you want to put them all in one documnet how do u do that. when i copy and paste or when i use insert the text and the format all gets mixed up. the problem is that each documnet has a different font/tables/margins..all what am trying to do is put them all in ONE document.

thanx i appreciate the help.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I understood your question and responded in kind.

If you have different headers and footers and margins, and you want to keep them, you will need to do the following:

1. Start with doc1. Hit Ctrl+End. Hit Insert-Break, next page section break. Go into the header and turn OFF "same as previous".

2. File-Insert....doc2. Hit Ctrl+End. Hit Insert-Break, next page section break. Go into the header and turn OFF "same as previous".

3. File-Insert....doc3. Hit Ctrl+End. Hit Insert-Break, next page section break. Go into the header and turn OFF "same as previous".

You may first want to do the instructions in the first post, and then put your documents together this way.

There is no easy way to accomplish what you're asking, short of a macro that would require some fairly extensive coding, and also sample files would have to be provided. I personally could not invest the time required for it on a free project. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice