1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merging "Favorites" folders in I.E.6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kunstfan, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kunstfan

Kunstfan Thread Starter

After several reformattings, spread over several years, I have accumulated 4 or 5 "Favorites" folders, several as subcategories of others. There must be a blue million redundant links between them. I'd like to merge them all into one folder and have the redundancies taken out, best possible. I am using Windows ME on a Compaq box that is two years old and am using Internet Explorer 6 with most recent patches. Has anyone had any experience at this or happen to know of some way to combine such folders, please? Thanks!! Bob

2. Alaska

Alaska

Kunstfan (Bob), I guess I'll be the first to welcome you to the Pc Tech Guy forums, so Welcome.

I looked in every nook and cranny of the internet to find a program that would do what you want and the only thing I came up with is a program called Compass 2.83, last revision date September 2001.

Here is the home page for the application and Here is a download page that list the operating systems it is supposed to work on.

The bad news is it is Shareware. The good news is there is a fifty day free trial period.

I have Windows Me and I downloaded it to check it out. The program caused no problems on my computer.

I could only test its merging capablities by merging a saved copy of my Internet Explorer 6 favorites with a saved copy of my Opera 7.11 bookmarks.

Both my IE favorites and Opera bookmarks are fairly similiar in content but from what I could see the Compass 2.83 program did a fairly good job of merging and the program also did away with duplicate URL's fairly well.

The best way to merge is to "Import" the first file into the program and any file you want to add to the imported file thereafter, use the "Merge from" option. Both the "Import" and "Merge from" option are located under the file menu. The help files were not really that helpful from what I could see.

The real bad news is that after the files were merged and I saved them as html files by exporting, I could not get them imported into Internet Explorer. I always got the "Not a valid bookmark file" message from IE's import wizard.

I'm in no way a capable person when it comes to html script (if that is the word) so maybe there is an easy way to overcome the "not valid" message. I don't know. I tried saving in different formats but still no go.

If you decide to download the program to take a look at it I would suggest making copies of your original files and use the copies to mess around with the program. That way you still have your originals and nothing but time is lost.

I would also suggest if you decide to download that the first file you import into the program that you choose the HTML tab from the box that pops up and this will allow you to navigate to any place on your harddrive for the file.

Compass 2.83 looks like a very well put together program and has many features that I did not take the time to look at. It will even check for dead URL's, but while I was looking over the internet last night I found a very good freeware program for that. So I guess I want to thank you for sending me on your search because if not for that I never would have thought to look for the dead URL program I did find.

The Compass 2.83 program will merge, and I have to suppose that it will merge multiple files, but the key is getting the final file into Internet Explorer.

Bob, if you decide to try the program out let us know how you make out. Thank You.

3. Alaska

Alaska

One more program for you:

http://www.acqurl.com/

I haven't checked it out but it claims to merge files and it is newer in development than Compass 2.83. I don't know if it will overcome the "not valid" message.

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I might be missing the real question here - but are you talking about the "FAVORITES" folder in IE6? This may sound too simple, but why can't you go to those folders - copy their contents - and then paste all into your main FAVORITES folder in windows?

Then as you copy - if there are duplicate file names it will prompt you to overwrite or not - and it will condense them for you?

- Castleheart

:cool:

5. Alaska

Alaska

When you tried this yourself were you prompted with a question to overwrite or not?

6. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

here's what I did:

I went to a favorites folder under C:\WINDOWS\PROFILES\MYname\FAVORITES

I copied three links

Then I went to C:\WINDOWS\FAVORITES and pasted them

then I deleted one of them - leaving the other two as a test

When I went back and I tried to paste those three there and it pasted the missing one (since there was no name conflict) but then prompted me about overwriting the other two.

I am using W98

- C

7. Alaska

Alaska

I'll try it. If it works you will have saved kunstfan a lot of trouble. ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!