1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merging Hard disk partitions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shimsar, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shimsar

shimsar Thread Starter

When attempting to reinstall Widows xp Home to "C" the installation fouled-up and I was really stuck and couldn't even boot into Safe mode.
    I got started with the Windows disc from the CD drive.
    Found an 8 gig. unused partition, formated and installed Windows on it - disk "F". It is now busting at the seams and I wish to merge it with my original "C".
    However "C" still has a lot of the original Windows files on it, though not being used as my boot up disc. However "C" still has a lot of active programs on it.
    Question: Can I clear out the windows files from the "C" partition?
    Question: Can I, with Partition Magic, merge the "F" boot disc with "C", without reformating the "C" disc?
    Does anybody have a comment or better still a good suggestion?
    Thanks
    Shimsar

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It really depends on the space involved. Unused Windows files can be deleted.

You will want to merge the smaller partition into the larger one usually. but in your case, you will need to keep the smaller since that is the boot partition. Programs installed on the old merged partition will no longer work since alll pointers in the file system and registry will be to a non-existent drive.

If you have the space, the files contained in the old will then appear in a folder in the new partition as saved files. But no programs in that folder will function as before and none of your shortcuts pointing to those programs will work.

You might consider getting a new drive and cloning your boot partition from the old drive to the new one. Then you can keep all the programs you have in your large partition.

3. shimsar

shimsar Thread Starter

Shalom Elvandil
    You don't sleep much at night, do you?
    Thanks for your speedy reply.
    I now have a better idea of what to do and what not to do.
    So my 30 g. disc that is not in use will be put to better use than just sitting on a shelf.
    Thanks
    Shimsar

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you can clone your boot partition to the other drive and keep the drive you have now with the same drive letter assigned to the large partition with programs on it, your shortcuts will still remain valid. You could then just expand that partition to take up the entire drive.

Good luck. We'll be here.

5. shimsar

shimsar Thread Starter

Shalom Elvandil
    Thanks for the last bit of practical advice. I, myself am a bit scared to affect the clone move, but as soon as my son will be free I'll have him over to help with that maneuver.
    There are times when we older folks appreciate the abilities of youngsters.
    As soon as we get that done I'll notify the thread of "success".
    Shimsar

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice