1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merging Selected Profile Data Into One Profile

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dondd, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dondd

dondd Thread Starter

I'm in the process of upgrading to a new/used laptop. I plan on using a utility called Transwiz, which is a pretty simple and effective program. The twist here is that my present pc has 2 profiles as follows:

In my present pc (I now call the FROM pc), there are two profiles I need to transfer as one profile. So, what I thought I would do is go into C:/Users/Profile1 and Profile2 and copy some files from one to the other (only files in Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. I'm not fooling with the other system like folders such as App Data. I've already installed the same programs in the new pc (the TO pc). So, the settings will automatically transfer with Transwiz.

My question is: Can I move files from one profile to the other, then delete the profile I won't need, and only transfer the modified one? Are there any hooks there? BTW, the FROM pc is Win 10, and the TO pc is Win 7 (I know this sounds backwards, but I have good reason to do so).

I appreciate anyone's guidance!!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I use Transwiz on a regular basis, and it really is a good program. If you're only moving the files you mentioned, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

3. dondd

dondd Thread Starter

Thanks lochlomonder...I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. You don't see any issue going from a Win 10 to a Win 7 machine, right? Also, when I'm done "merging" the data files into one of the profiles, I should be able to delete the profile on the FROM pc that I don't need...correct?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Yes, you should be fine transferring to 7, and you'll be able to delete the profile on the old machine afterward

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!