1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Merging Two Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr Broly, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Broly

Mr Broly Thread Starter

Hi, I recently won a laptop and it came with 2 partitions one is the normal C: and the other one is D:. I want to know if there is a way to merge the D: one to the C: one. The D: one does not have anything on it. Is there any way to get D: space into C: space. Do I just have to delete D:? Thanks for any help.:)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you can clearly just delete the D: partition, with no damage done. The merging is a bit trickier.

In truth, I'd keep more than one partition, every system I build has multiple partitions.

• Boot and Applications
    • Data
    • Work
    Is my preferred layout.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Before making recommedataions, how big is the C: drive.

4. Mr Broly

Mr Broly Thread Starter

Here is a picture of disk management and what it says:

[​IMG]

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like I said, I'd consider leaving the other partition. You can probably move a lot of data to the second partition, and then if you choose to do an image backup of the boot partition, it's not nearly as large. You can also backup your data more frequently, and not have to hunt around on the boot drive for it. :)

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's why I asked about the size. Better to be certain before making any recommendataitons. Fortunately You still have plenty of room on the C: drive and plenty on D:

So one option is rather than merge the partitions, start moving files if you want to increase space. For example, you could make your My Documents folder default to D:\My Documents.

You could also then use a program like Acronis to image the C: partition to the D: partition. This would allow you to restore the OS and whatever else was on C: in case of a crash. I also like to have a second, removable drive to then backup all of what is on D:.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice