1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mess of trouble stemming from Optical Drive Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by speegon, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speegon

speegon Thread Starter

OK, so I got a call about midnight from a girl I know who probably just broke her machine for good, and I'm having a nice, fun time trying to fix it.

She seems to have been having issues with her CD/DVD drive on an older Sony Viao. I guess the drivers weren't working properly... so she deleted them.
    Specifically, she deleted cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, and SiRemFil.sys. I guess since the CD-ROM device was using them, she figured windows update would reload them if she deleted them.
    So now they're gone, but luckily, she says she made a backup on her desktop.
    Unfortunately, windows xp doesn't want to boot up for her anymore to use that backup.

And now I'm up at 2AM trying to help her boot her computer.
    So my question: How the heck do I move these backup files from her desktop folder back into her drivers folder? I created a DOS boot CD (She has no floppy drive and neither do I) that works on my personal xp machine, but I'm a young'n and never really had to use a DOS interface beyond typing "win.exe" back in the day.
    I can't even get this thing to change directories back to the C: prompt for me!

I could really use anybody's help with this. I've got an image to protect!
    Thanks!

2. Hughv

Hughv

3. speegon

speegon Thread Starter

I looked through that webpage you linked; are you sure there's not something a little less drastic?
    All I really need at this point is to be able to access the hard drive. If I can do that, I think I can copy the correct drivers back into the drivers folder under c:\windows\system32\.

That's really the root of the issue for me right now.

I'll perform that system repair if you think it's the only way, but as I can't even access the main drive to back up data, it's a last resort.

Thanks for the reply!

4. Hughv

Hughv

A system repair is hardly "drastic".
    Put in the CD, couple of mouse clicks and sit back while the magic happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice