1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

message board and chat software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by deuce, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Anyone know of good freeware, shareware or *relatively* cheap bulliten board or message board software? In the past when I have used message boards on websites I have just used the basic one that is in front page...but for this new website that I am taking on I am going to need something decent. Have any ideas or leads?....or do you think that this type of software will even come freeware/shareware? It doesn't need to be too fancy. Also, if anyone knows of any chat software that would be useful too.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Absolutuley! I would recommend www.anyboard.com they have a freeware and a pay version. I am very happy with the free ware. Not all options enabled, but hey, it's free!

John

PS I just noticed we are neighbors!

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Just noticed? So what's your temp tonight?...........................

hehe yup we're neighbors alright. ;)

4. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

hey thanks by the way......... :)

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well I just pulled up that site and it looks as if they are down for development, but that site is exactly what I need. Any others you know of? If not I can wait until this one comes back online.

6. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well I've been looking at these two, and think I'd probably go with the discusware freeware. Anybody know how to set it up?

8. bassetman

With anyboard you need access to your CGI bin. if you know or can find out the exact paths to everything (Perl etc) anyboard can install it for you.

Don't know how cold it got last night for sure, but it's only about zero her now :(

John

9. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

So how do I go about setting this up?

10. bassetman

Here is their site http://netbula.com/anyboard/
    The only difficulties I had was knowing some of the paths. The tech support guy gave me the path and went up fine.

John

11. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

hummm......well I see how it goes

12. bassetman

I'll be in and out for the next few days, but I'll help if I can if you run into any problems.

John

13. suzi

suzi

There are several other free ones you might want to look at. I asked the same question at another forum:

http://forums.gearhost.com/view.asp?sessionID={896EEE4A-98BA-406B-AF2B-EAFD6B59B504}&topicID=566

If that link does not work, go to www.gearhost.com, click on customer care, support forums, general forums, open discussion.

I likek the looks of phpBB but other forums were recommended too.

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Looks as if they've been suspened for some reason. Do you remember which boards they recomended? Also, I just found out that cost doesn't really matter. My thoughts had been that I would try a free one and see how it goes over--if it's a hit or not--but yesterday I found out the this group has a budget from the school and can give me all I need for this website. So now, I'll revise that question: what message board software do you guys think is best based on options, features and price?

15. suzi

suzi

I think there's a breakdown of routers somewhere, maybe in several places, because there a lot of web sites that won't come up for me since last night. Including my own.

Hopefully everything will be back up soon, then you can check it out.

Snitz forum, invision and some others were mentioned but I don't remember the URL's for them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice