message board and chat software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deuce

Anyone know of good freeware, shareware or *relatively* cheap bulliten board or message board software? In the past when I have used message boards on websites I have just used the basic one that is in front page...but for this new website that I am taking on I am going to need something decent. Have any ideas or leads?....or do you think that this type of software will even come freeware/shareware? It doesn't need to be too fancy. Also, if anyone knows of any chat software that would be useful too.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Absolutuley! I would recommend www.anyboard.com they have a freeware and a pay version. I am very happy with the free ware. Not all options enabled, but hey, it's free!

John

PS I just noticed we are neighbors!

deuce

Just noticed? So what's your temp tonight?...........................

hehe yup we're neighbors alright. ;)

deuce

Well I just pulled up that site and it looks as if they are down for development, but that site is exactly what I need. Any others you know of? If not I can wait until this one comes back online.

deuce

deuce

Well I've been looking at these two, and think I'd probably go with the discusware freeware. Anybody know how to set it up?

bassetman

With anyboard you need access to your CGI bin. if you know or can find out the exact paths to everything (Perl etc) anyboard can install it for you.

Don't know how cold it got last night for sure, but it's only about zero her now :(

John

bassetman

I'll be in and out for the next few days, but I'll help if I can if you run into any problems.

John

There are several other free ones you might want to look at. I asked the same question at another forum:

http://forums.gearhost.com/view.asp?sessionID={896EEE4A-98BA-406B-AF2B-EAFD6B59B504}&topicID=566

If that link does not work, go to www.gearhost.com, click on customer care, support forums, general forums, open discussion.

I likek the looks of phpBB but other forums were recommended too.

deuce

Looks as if they've been suspened for some reason. Do you remember which boards they recomended? Also, I just found out that cost doesn't really matter. My thoughts had been that I would try a free one and see how it goes over--if it's a hit or not--but yesterday I found out the this group has a budget from the school and can give me all I need for this website. So now, I'll revise that question: what message board software do you guys think is best based on options, features and price?

I think there's a breakdown of routers somewhere, maybe in several places, because there a lot of web sites that won't come up for me since last night. Including my own.

Hopefully everything will be back up soon, then you can check it out.

Snitz forum, invision and some others were mentioned but I don't remember the URL's for them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online