1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

message: program performed illegal operation and will be shut down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by momto2boys, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momto2boys

momto2boys Thread Starter

I keep getting this message

Explorer (is on blue bar on top) Red X
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

It happens whether or not I'm online and especially when I leave the computer idling.

My computer is HP 6535 Windows 98 SE and I use a cable modem

Please can someone help me with this?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x comes with a repair tool. To use it, go to the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Scroll and click to highlight 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 5/6.x' in the Install/Uninstall window; Then click on the Add/Remove button; Select 'Repair' the current installation of Internet Explorer radio button; Click on OK. Restart your computer when prompted.

Scan for virus, trojan or variant on-line at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Ensure you have a firewall running, hardware or software, like free Sygate from http://download.com

3. momto2boys

Hi, I complete all the above. I do have the EZ firewall and virus scan, but I did turn off the virus scan because I wasn't able to print with it on.
    4 virus were found and I have able to delelte 3 of them. The one I can't delete is:

Virus: Troj IstBar.B
    Scan Result: CanNotAccess
    File: 'C:\ProgramFiles\IST svc\istsvc.exe'

I get message, unable to delete because it is currently in use.

Don't know what to do now.

I just got the error message again

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Solution:

Uninstalling the Malware Application

Click Start, then go to Settings and Control Panel.
    Click the Add/Remove Programs.
    Look for the following names on the list of installed applications:
    ISTSVC
    XXXToolbar
    Bargain Buddy
    Select each of the application names above and click the Change/Remove or Add/Remove button.
    Restart your computer.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you need to boot to Safe Mode to do the above:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click OK when prompted).

7. momto2boys

I've done all of the above, still getting the error message. Any other suggestions, please.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What anti-virus are you using?

In Safe Mode; Program Files; Delete the, IST svc\istsvc.exe folder; Empty the Recycle Bin; Restart your computer.

9. momto2boys

How do I get to Program Files, I went to start then programs but don't see files. Sorry, as you can see I'm not at all familiar with certain computer things.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

To get to the Program Files directory; Double-click My Computer; double-click [C:]; Double-click Program Files. Scroll to find the folder/entry you desire and right-mouse click it, then point to Delete. Empty the Recycle Bin.

11. momto2boys

Hi, I found Program Files. No folder with ISTsvc, but there 2 folders with ISTbar and Bargain Buddy. Show I delete these?

12. momto2boys

jump bumping this since I'm still having the problem. Please help, thank you.

13. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Delete them both immediately, then empty the Recycle Bin and then restart your computer.

14. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you have to boot to Safe Mode and delete them there if Windows won't let you in Normal Mode

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice