1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Message rules in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by 4dsmom, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to set up Message Rules in Outlook Express to keep mail that contains a known virus, such as the Ha Ha Ha, Snow White one from coming into my inbox? It seems that all options are for after message is downloaded. I would like to set it that they are never delivered to me, if possible.
    I have made rules pertaining to this virus and others that have known subject matter and they still arrive in my inbox.

I am very fortunate that AVG has picked them all up, but I would like to stop them from being delivered if all possible.
    If anyone can explain how this message rules feature works, I would sure appreciate it.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

maybe you should download AVG virus scanner as it protects the e-mail . ...go to http://www.grisoft.com to get it.... Its very good & best of all its free

3. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I have AVG. It has "caught" these viruses AFTER they come into my inbox. I would like to stop them from getting that far if possible, and also know how to use Message Rules feature for other things.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

oh if it was only that easy... wouldn't that be just great . But Im afraid not.

5. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks, Savvy Lady, but last night I received two emails, 1 was from my sister with her name, and her subject was Snow White's Christmas List. It went to my delete box and was highlighted in red as I had message rules set up for.(It contained no attachment.) #2 was sender ha ha ha and subject about Snow white, and it had the attachment with it. It arrived in my inbox. I was reading my other mail, planning on using select all to delete all my messages after reading the ones I knew were ok. I went to the delete box to see what the mail was in there, because it was shown to hold 1 unopened, and when I went back to inbox, the Ha ha Ha one had dropped down in my preview window, even though it was not next on my list of unread messages. It was then AVG popped up and gave me the warning and the procedure to go through to get rid of it and I did so.
    I was puzzled why, my sister's mail was sent to delete box and the other to my inbox when both had Snow White in the Message Rules portion of subject matter. Why did it work for one and not the other?

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Maybe the order in which they were recieved & it was busy with the other one... I don't know.

But that one is floating around alot.. I had it sent to me 3 times in one week back in the summer.
    Sorry I can't help you anymore than that. i just don't know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice