1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

message to connect through mapped drive while connected through mapped drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TriBon, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriBon

TriBon Thread Starter

Client is laptop running on Vista Business. Server is Windows 2000. File is on Host running on XP SP2. I can map the drive on laptop to Host but when I try to run an application I get message:

You must run APPLICTATION_NAME from a mapped drive.

I am running application from mapped drive so why do I get this message?

Only weird thing I can mention is that I have to specify domain name and user name to connect to the mapped drive. But once I am connected I can open all files. But the application I need to run gives me the error message.

Help anyone?

2. Softies

Softies

Is the application on the host or just the data?

Does another machine connect correctly?

If the app. is on a host along w/ the data, have you tried installing the application on your machine and accessing the data over the lan.

Other thoughts:
    sometimes applications require an exact data path. For example, f:\app
    this info is stored on the host. When you map your local drive, you choose m:\app

3. TriBon

TriBon Thread Starter

The host is working as the application server. The instructions to install the client on the laptop is to map a drive to the host/server then run the setup application from the laptop over the mapped drive.

Installation went ok on all desktops but not on the laptop. This is our first Vista computer. The setup application is asking for username and password and it would only recognise the un/pw when I add the domainname: domainname\username then password.

But to map the drive on the laptop I didn't have to use the domainname\username combination.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice