Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

messed up hard disk wiring or is it actually failing

741 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering if somebody could help me out. I gave my pc a much-needed dusting off yesterday and when I tried to turn it on again, it started acting up. At first windows was freezing every 10 minutes or so, then several times that I tried to restart it, it showed something like "disk error press any key to reboot". I thought some connections were just not properly inserted when I put the pc parts back together so I removed them again and made sure they were properly placed when I put it back. It worked, I used the computer for about 4 hours last night before going to bed.

Then this morning, it was back to freezing up every 10 minutes or so. I've read somewhere that this is a sign of a hard disk failure, could someone help me confirm if this is the case with what I'm dealing with right now? I'm not sure because maybe I just messed up the connections of my harddisk to the motherboard since the problem started after I cleaned my pc and put it back together.(I was totally careful about putting it all back but then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy in assembling back pc parts)

Also, if it is indeed a hard disk failure, I have two hard disks on my pc, one is a 40 gb drive c where only windows is installed and another is a 500gb drive d where all my files are located. Of course my first thought is that the drive c is the one broken, but is it also possible that my drive d is the one acting up?

Thanks for reading this and I really hope someone could help me sort this out.

-Kev

See less See more
#2 ·
if it was the h/d you would expect a bsod error screen

you can check the hard drives

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

you may have knocked the ram check it is seated properly

#3 ·
I wouldn't say it is a failing hard drive only because this happened right after you took apart the PC. I don't believe this problem to be coincidental right afterwards, but you never know. I would run chkdsk /r. This will run a scan on the drive and identify bad sectors and try to recover them. Go to the start icon in the left hand corner. Go to all programs. Go to accessories. Right click on command prompt, and select run as administrator. You should get a screen confirming you want to do this. In the black screen, type chkdsk /r. Then, you will need to type "y" for yes and select enter. What will happen is the computer cannot perform this check with the disk in use. So it will restart the computer and perform the check during boot. Let me know what the results of the chkdsk are and if your computer is fixed afterwards, because this scan will attempt to fix bad sectors of the drive.

#4 ·
Describe the method you used to "Dust" the computer out. This normal does not require removal of any components. All that is required is a can of compressed air (it is suggested to do this someplace besides the house, like in the garage or service porch).

#5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I tried to do every single one of them and ended up not being able to, since the computer was either not booting up at startup or freezing up the moment i logged in windows. Luckily, I was able to identify the problem because of a subtle noise in my drive c, I bought a new one and I'm happy to say that things are now working fine after reinstalling the os.

dustjay- I used a very soft brush to dust the parts off since compressed air cans isn't readily available from where I live from. But I'll try to find an alternative similar to that when I make my cleaning next time.

Thanks for all the answers guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.