1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Messed up partitions... system will not boot!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by themoron, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themoron

themoron Thread Starter

I did a really dumb thing. cfdisk threw an error at me saying "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 3: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder", so I installed "Partition Table Doctor" to see if I could fix the problem. When the program started up, it told me there were problems with my partitions, and asked if I wanted them fixed (cannot remember real message, but I believe it had something to do with the cylinder offsets), so, blindly, without thinking of the consequences, I did.

Now, my system will not boot. I tried booting from the Windows 7 installation CD. I went to install a fresh copy, but it said that "No drives were found". I then opened up diskpart. According to diskpart, there is only one partition, containing one volume, assigned the letter "C". Before, I had four partitions! It is also saying that the file system is RAW.

Is there any way I can fix this? I have important data that I do not want to lose.

2. themoron

themoron Thread Starter

I tried fdisk with the option -l, which lists the partition table(s), and this is what I got:
    Code:
    Ignoring extra extended partition 4

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 64 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x163df116

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks    Id  System
    /dev/sda1               6          18      102400     7  HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2              18        7851   62918572+     7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3           13073       30402   139196416     f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3           13073       30402   139196416     f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3           13073       30403   139203193     7  HPFS/NTFS

I don't know if this will help, but it's extra information, at least.

Also, this is how I had my partitions:
    40MB (OEM) (Edit: Just remebered that I deleted this, so Unallocated)
    100MB (System Reserved)
    60GB (Windows)
    40GB (User Reserved)
    ~132GB (Home)

3. themoron

themoron Thread Starter

How about this: I discard everything and start over (new partition tables etc). However, I'll leave the part of my hard disk that has the data I want (Home) unformatted. Then, I use recovery software to get those files back. They should be physically there, right? If I do choose this option, how would I "start over"? Also, what recovery software could search a hard disk and successfully find the files I want?

PLEASE, I need things working ASAP!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice