1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Messed Up PC HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hitman_525, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hitman_525

hitman_525 Thread Starter

I have a Asus A7V8X Skt A VIA KT400 DDR400 AGP8 ATX Aud/Lan motherboard along with a GF4 MX440 and a 300W power supply, AMD 2200+ and a 40G Hard drive. I also have 4 case fans. OS= Win XP Pro and 512Mb Ram. My PC keeps on switching off, but the LED's are still on when this occurs. does any one know if there are any known problems with my graphics card and over heating. I know someone else who has the same graphics card as i do and it gets hot. The fan on the graphics card doesn't always spin. Is this a problem. My CPU temperture is around 54C, acouple of weeks ago it was around 40C.

Please HELP!!!

Hitman_525

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

a few things may cause this but the 2 i see are, under powered , you need a 400 watt power supply for that cpu/momb/ram combo.

and the heat is another issue. try to get the max heat to 50 c

use paste like artic silver and not a shim.

only put it on the die.

3. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

Definetely sounds like Under-Power issue. buddhafabio is right, you need at least a 400w power supply for that kind of machinery. And he's also right about heat. Especially for AMD processors, heat can be a serious issue. But i bet if you got a new power supply it would solve all your problems... POWMAX is a good brand to look for www.zipzoomfly.com is a good place to shop for them

4. hitman_525

RE:

My pc was using a 300W power supply for the last couple of months, it was working fine then. My PC also freezes as well as switching off but leaving the LED light on. Everytime i try to shut down my pc it just restarts.

Please Help,

Thanks,

hitman_525

5. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

Even though it may have been running fine before, you still have a power issue. Seriuosly, with that kind of hardware, you can't run it on a 300w power supply. It was probably peaking out your power supply for the past few months and just finally wore it down.

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i have a amd 2100 and a soyo k7vdragon + mobo i could only get one pci card to work at a time if i installed another pci card it would crash all the time i had a compusa 350 watt power supply. the moment i installed the 600 watt powersupply ALL of my problems went away

7. hitman_525

RE:

So you reckon i need a 400W PSU. Are you sure it couldn't be anything else?? Whats up with my temperture of my pc?? If it was a power issue then it shouldn't really work then.

Thanks

hitman_525

8. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

No, any sag in power will make your computer restart. Also you may want to check your wiring in your house. But the power supply may power your computer for a while, then make it restart because of sags in power or overworking your power supply

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The difference in heat is probably just a matter of accumulated dust, just blow the dust out.. The restarting is most likely the power supply. Although a good quality PS of 300W could run it with ease. A 400W or more isn't neccessary, but a quality one is.

Please keep in mind, any power supply can fail.

10. rmay635703

rmay635703

Ditto, replace the PSU but just to humor me

Hmm, what is the TCO on your 300watt PSU??

If its not at least 180watt for the 3.3v and 5v lines thats definately a PSU problem.

Also Ditto on the temp.
    You should definately get some artic silver or a copper heatsync and things should improve in terms of stability because I ran into unending trouble when my temp got over 50c on my athlon tbred.

The funny thing is I am running a similar setup on a very old 235watt ATX PSU without issue but of coarse old supplies that are rated 235watt usually outperform new 400's.
    My 235 sitting here says it can put out a 235watts out either 5v or 12v and up to 100watts out the 3.3v line but total continuous is not to exceed 235watts, yet 3yrs running definately over the limits I can't kill the darn thing (and 5yrs before that running in the limits). The difference between old good supplies and new supplies is that on old supplies you can exceed the wattage (and they don't die immediately) and the new junky MAX supplies you can never reach the stated wattage without a horrible stench.

Cheers

11. hitman_525

I have just bought a new 400W power supply and a new heat sink, my pc STILL SHUT DOWNS. My pc temperture now is 30c. PLEASE help.

hitman_525

12. Firah

Firah

Maybe the M/B is shorting to the case? (Though all of a sudden...seems strange.) Try running it outside of the case.

Could be too that a component has gone bad on the M/B and is pulling escessive current from the PSU.

Also you should run a check on the RAM.

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

Can you return the PSU?

When does your PC shut-down? when playing a game or randomly?

Heres a SIMPLE test to see if you have a short. turn on computer - use a boot floppy or whatever so you're not in WINDOWS and we know for sure it is NOT a WINDOWS issue.

or unplug your HD (power & data) and have it sit in POST.

Running good?

Make a fist (or use the flat of your hand) and bang the top of your case a few times (front to back). Not hard enough to hurt yourself or the case. Do once at the side if it still seems good (again, not hard - enough to vibrate the chassis.

After all, if you got the SHORT already... doing another on pupose isn't going to make it worse. ;)

- if your PC shutts down, then unplug the system - make sure your grounded. And remove and reinstall your mobo. Make sure all stand-offs are TIGHTLY attached to case and that you don't have any EXTRA ones poking holes into the mobo. Firmly attach board back into case.

CPU temp for avg heat sinks is about 50c. Rarely 40c - you might have mixed your PC case temp with your CPU temp. Not even water cooled sytems have 30c CPUS (thats room temp).

PS: (OT to poster) $16 for 400watt PSUs do not solve problems.

14. hitman_525

I have bought a new motherboard and it still keeps on shutting down. It keeps on shutting down when i go to My computer. Now the LED lights aren't on when my computer shuts down. PLEASE HELP. I'm Gettin desperate now.

15. Whitestar

Whitestar

In that case its either ur hard drive or a windows problem.

Really u should have thought about those first before buying a new mobo.

Always look at the least expensive option first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice