Messed Up Registry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DWHAMMOCK

Hoping someone can pull a rabbit out of a hat( so to speak) to save me from HAVING to bring my unit into a repair place( cant afford it right now , so it will just be sitting around collecting dust if I cant get it back up....
I started getting a lot of errors caused by ADAPTEC CD buring program. Once it got un-hung up, I uninstalled ADAPTEC. I must have also delted some shared files because I could only get it to come up in SAFE MODE. I also tried to mess with the periphials in STEP by STEP CONFIGURATION, but I think I did more damage because once you made a choice you couldnt change it or escape. Was finally able to get it back in SAFE MODE, but SAFE MODE disabled the CRROM & CRDW drives, so I cant re-install Windows 95. I used REGCLEAN to try to repair the registry.I also tried using the Emergency Recovery from the 95 install disk by coping it to a floppy. I made some registry changes suggested by MICROSOFT from their help section on Troubleshooting Registers.I was able to have someone make me floppy with virtaul drive so I could just reinstall 95 from the CD, but it is saying that now Im missing system.dat and some others. ANY HELP would be GREATLY aprreciated, I would be so thankful just to be able to get the OLD DINOSOUR( pentium 200 64 meg RAM)up and running again(even though she may run slow).Thanks for any help, Don

It sounds like the Windows folder got pretty trashed and a reinstall will not work. I recommend you install Windows in another folder, delete the Windows folder and install Windows, or format the hard drive to start fresh and install Windows. It's your choice and Good luck.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi DWHAMMOCK, welcome to TSG....

Are you sure someone made you a bootable disk? And are you sure that your bios is setup to boot to the A: (floppy) first, then the hard drive?

If you are trying to re-install windows and are booting with the correct settings, and the correct bootable floppy, I wouldn't think that particular file should be an issue.....what other files are you getting error messages on?

Try downloading a boot disk from here:

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

Get the one that says Windows 98 WinImage file (for cdrom support, I understand you are trying to re-install 95).

To get into your bios setup, usually pressing the DEL key when the computer starts will work, if you have a Compaq it'll be F 10, other models want F 1 or F 2......if you can't get into the bios, post back make/model of your computer and someone will help you. If you get into the bios, make sure the boot order is A: C: and then other devices......

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Here is a PM I received from the user:

your reply to MESSED UP REGISTRY
Thanks a MILLION for repling.
You asked what other error messages were coming up. I forgot to mention in the post that, the floppy was able to let me access one of the CD drives, but It says the C drive has no valid FAT
or FAT32 partition.When I access the CD on D drive
it says "Cannot create a temporary directory.If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create a MSDOS boot partion to setup windows". Also,if I reboot(from the C drive, and try to use SAFE MODE it says"
[Registry Problem]- Windows encountered error accessing the system registry.You should restore the regestry now and reboot.Restoring the registry
will replace the Faulty registry with a known good copy." So I tried to resore it and got the message stating that I was missing system.dat. Using Dos, I found in the Windows folder system.da1 and user.da1. Should I change those names to .dat? I also found SETUP.OLD, will running that restore the regestry? Thanks again for your help.

DWHAMMOCK

AcaCandy,
I did like you said, and downloaded the Winimage 98 Boot disk from Dr D. When I tried to Boot from that floppy,it said loading from floppy then came up with " Invalid system disk-replace disk and try again". Should I go back to Dr D and load the 95 boot disk? I am I doing something wrong or should the 98 disk be working ? Thanks, Don

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, it sounds like all you did was save it to a floppy......You need to double click on it......

What I recommend doing, is to save it to your desktop, double click on it, you'll be prompted to insert a blank floppy disk.....you can just use this one since it's going to be overwritten anyways....all the files will then be transferred and you should now be able to boot to an a: prompt with this disk.....choose 'start with cdrom support' when you see the menu of choices.

HOWEVER, with the FAT32 error, etc. I tend to think you are going to need to reformat the hard drive and begin anew....What happened that brought you to this point?

DWHAMMOCK

I used another computer to download the 98 Bootdisk to floppy. On the broke system ,I cant even get it to go into SAFE MODE because the registry is messed up ( see my previous post).
I can get it to come uyp in DOS/ safe mode command promt only. I try to run setup.exe from the d: and then it says the registry is messed up and there
are no FAT files. How do I recover the registry
or make a new one ?? Thanks Don

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Wanted to make sure you saw my edit in my last post.....I'm trying to do things downstairs and my internet connection is soooooo slow today, that by the time I try to edit, 2 or 3 people can post in the meantime......

I think, as Dan O suggested first....you've got bigger problems than just a re-install......

DWHAMMOCK

I did miss the last edit.
The only problem with re-formatting is, I do
a lot of recording and editing(voice overs/commercials) and really am trying to not
lose the files allready on there.
I upgraded to a Western Digital Hard drive last year.The originaldrive was 2gig, the new one was 13 gig, so instead of a Big C drive, I have C thru I drives at 2 gig each. Does this make a difference as far as reformating goes, or will I still loose eveything by reformatting???

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, I'm not a partition person, I'm sure someone else will come along with some better assistance....from my limited understanding....if your operating system is on partition C, which it should be.....you should be able to reformat just that partition and re-install windows.

You certainly must have a software overlay program on it like EZ Drive or EZ-Bios (not sure what Western Digital calls theirs).

Let me see who I can dig up and PM for help who may be online right now.....hold tight....

Also, I don't think that "D" would be the cdrom....I'm not sure how far ahead it would get pushed with all those partitions.....but in any event, it can't be any less than "E" --- at least in my limited opinion with the partitioning in mind.

If you repartition the drive with fdisk you will loose all information on the drive.

If you reformat a partition on the drive you only loose the information on that partition, not the whole drive.

Problem being if you reformat the os partition and reinstall, you will also have to reinstall all the applications.

Have you considered just reinstalling to the same folder.

sorry, I didn't read through the whole post if I have repeated something some else has already mentioned.

Before you do anything, you need to settle on what your partition status is. You are using FAT16, not FAT32 if your Partitions are that size.That makes sense for Windows95. Also, did you have an old BIOS with a disk limit of 8 gigs? Possibly you have a drive overlay so that your newer13 gig Hard drive could be supported. Please give it some thought and post back with as much information as you have.
Here's an article to help you figure out whether or not you have drive overlay.

See if you can follow it. If not, post back and someone can help guide you through. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q186/0/57.ASP

One quick point. If you have C through I on the hard drive.
And you boot with a 98 bootdisk.
K would be the next available drive letter for your CDROM.
Setup would be located on K at least.

DWHAMMOCK

I read that article about determining weither or not you have an overlay. I cant really tell, some of the things they said could detemine if you had it leads me to think I do have an overlay.( The memory test they said do, indicates I may have an overlay beacuse it is less than 655) Also the BIOS is American Megatrands INC dated 1995. I will try to reboot with the 98 floppy and see if I can tell it to install from the K drive. Thanks again,Don

You say you have system.da1 and user.da1. That would indicate to me that at some time in the past those were manually created as backups. Normally the last booted registry in Win95 should be system.da0. If you have that, you can try restoring it using the method in the link below.

What is the date associated with the system.da1 reg that you see?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q131/4/31.ASP

Try doing a search for system.da0:

dir system.da0 /s

What is the date on that?

What do you get for path and environment statements when you run the command

set

from a DOS prompt? The inability to create a temporary directory could be due to bad path statements in autoexec.bat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online