1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Messenger ICON won't stay away!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bradk, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

I'm trying to bring up OUTLOOK EXPRESS without the darn Messenger icon appearing in the SYSTRAY. I have turn it off everywhere and it still likes to come back. ie. TOOLS>MSN MESSENGER. Also this started happening after I downloaded MESSENGER 4.5.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

First, open MSN messenger, go to tools, options, preferences, there should be a place to uncheck "start every time windows starts" or something similar....

Then, start, run, msconfig, press ok, go to the start up tab.....uncheck it there.....

3. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly

Also, in OE go to Tools > Options > General, then uncheck the "Automatically log on to MSN", the icon still shows up (but with an x), but at least you won't be logged on.

4. ~Candy~

Good call xfilesgurly, forgot about that last mousetrap..... :D

BTW, love your kittie!

5. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly

:D Hello Kitty rocks!:D

I wonder if there's a way to stop it going in the tray anyway (probably is I'm not not brainy enough to know that) - it's annoying (the previous version which I have on my PC is much more well behaved), you can't even close it if you're on hotmail!

6. Bradk

Bradk Thread Starter

VERY GOOD POINT!!! It's annoying and I want it to go away.

7. ~Candy~

Brad, I run it also.....WHEN I want to......just follow the postings and disable it where we've indicated.....and when you want it to run, just double click on the icon or start it from the programs menu......I am running it now.....when I close it and restart my computer.....it DOES NOT start......and when I start OUTLOOK EXPRESS it DOES NOT start......It's my choice to start it......check those settings.

8. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly

Why do Microsoft think I want to talk to people *all* the time?!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice