Messenger Service Windows Pop Up Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SaltAir041

I keep getting pop up windows with an Error Telling me I need to clean my computer,

I have CWShredder, Spy Bot Search and Destroy, and Lavasoft Adaware.
Whenever I run them I still get the same Error. I also did a full system scan with panda antivirus and have found nothing.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:12:36 PM, on 12/30/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\WUSB11Cfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\NICServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Inicio.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless-B USB Network Adapter Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\WUSB11Cfg.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_2.1.2.76.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NICSer_WUSB11 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\NICServ.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Panda Firewall Service (PAVFIRES) - Panda Software - C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service (PAVSRV) - Panda Software - C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe

You will have to disable Messenger Service to stop those.

Click Start-> Run and type in services.msc

Click OK
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Bear in mind that the fact that these messenger popups are getting through indicates that you have a poorly configured firewall. The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445. These ports are open and vulnerable to hackers and trojans and disabling Messenger Service is only treating the symptoms and not the disease as it were.

See here:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml#block

and here:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2003/11/11/winxp_hacks.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online