1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

messenger service???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kerri Ann, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i keep getting these wierd popup windowswith the heading "messenger service" that say things like "hi my name is blah blah blah and" and "if you are receiving these popups, that means your computer is vulnerable to hackers. so visit this site- popupbashers".
    ive never received these before, but i recently upgraded to win2k from win me, and i had to reinstall my dsl browser and dsl connection. is this why i am getting these things? how do i get rid of them?

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Messanger service is a way for network administrators to send messages to clients, and Windows ME dowsn't have that, only Windows NT, 2000, and XP do. To get rid of it eiether get a firewall (highly suggested) and/or stop the messanger service (Right-click My computer and hit manage, scroll down to services, and look for messanger service.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks Mister...

do you have any suggestions for a firewall?

4. Kromos

Kromos

zonelabs is the best to use but norton is one of the cheapest and easy to use ! ! !

5. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Zone Alarm is fire-wall enough for most home users. The free version is all the protection you need.

6. BlueSpruce

BlueSpruce

7. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I use Zone Alarm. It works verry well.

8. starman2002

starman2002

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, so ive disabled the messenger service, but now im wondering what the heck are all those other "services" listed in my computer management? and is it good that they are all automated?

10. bluecast

bluecast

Yeah, I don't think you'd need to touch those any time soon. ;)

11. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh ok, thanx, but now my curiosity is tweaked, i can't help myself, i have to know!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice