1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Messenger/Whatsapp predictive text

Discussion in 'Windows Mobile Devices' started by SuperBobby, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SuperBobby

SuperBobby Thread Starter

Hi, I'm back! I need yet more assistance from the most helpful Windows forum I have so far come across. This time it's my Windows 10 phone (Lumia 525 I think). Up until about a week ago I could use Messenger or WhatsApp and was saved lots of time by what I believe is referred to as predictive text. I could start typing and would be presented with a string of suggested words and could select the one I wanted - this saved me no end of time. Even more useful was the ability to tap the microphone in Messenger and dictate my text. Now neither of these features are present on either app. I have to painfully peck out every single letter one at a time, foe somebody with Parkinsons disease it is a nightmare. I have been through the settings umpteen times tna.

I am hoping that, yet again, this forum can rescue me?

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I don't use Windows Phone, but I've had Android and iPhone, and it sounds like either the keyboard changed or the settings on the keyboard changed.

3. SuperBobby

Thanks for responding so quickly. Last night I did something I should have thought of when I first got the problem - I compared every setting on my phone to the settings on my wife's phone. The only difference I found was that she only had a UK keyboard whereas I had a UK keyboard plus a US keyboard (how the US keyboard got there I have no idea) so I deleted the US keyboard and now I have predictive texting back. Still no option to dictate texts though (wife is adamant that she's NEVER had it(.
    I won't mark this thread as 'solved' for a few days in case somebody knows where my dictated texts have gone.

4. SuperBobby

Okay, sussed it! I put the US keyboard back and enabled 'Show dictation button' in 'More keyboard settings' and voila! Thinking back to when I first started faffing around, I had two keyboards, English (UK) and English (US). The English (US)) said it "needed attention". Because I never used it I just deleted it which got my predictive texting back. Now that I have re-installed the English (UKS) keyboard I have both 'Predictive' texting and dictation. It appears that in order to have the option to dictate messages you need the US keyboard regardless of whether you use it or not. If any keyboard "Needs attention" it seems that uninstalling and reinstalling it will, in all probability, fix it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189275