Messy Hard Drive Letter Assignment Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HowdeeDoodee

I had to reformat my hard drive using an external drive bay. I used the external drive bay to reformat the drive. I had to reassign the drive letter from C to G. Originally the drive was C. The drive has a small unallocated partition. When I boot the drive up under DOS, the drive boots up with a default drive letter of X. And a directory of Sources. I want to reassign the drive as G or C. Can someone help out on this. (I am running Windows 7)

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
When I boot the drive up under DOS
You installed a version of DOS? Exactly what version of DOS (not sure it makes a difference)? Exactly what partitions are on the drive?

the drive boots up with a default drive letter of X.
Meaning what? That the partition with DOS installed has drive letter X? What other drive letters are assigned?

(I am running Windows 7)
Does this comment have any bearing on booting DOS or the drive letter assignment you want to do?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You need to be aware that drive letters are a DYNAMIC variable and will change when you boot from different media or use Dual/multi boot. That means that you can call it G now, but that letter is NOT stored on the disk (other than it the active "registry") so it will not necessarily be called G in a different session.

HowdeeDoodee

I deleted the remaining partition and installed the drive. Since this was the only drive in my pc the pc renamed by drive to C. Problem was solved. Thank you for your contributions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online