Metal on Metal Short Circuits?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nellis

I've got a really strange problem.. My computer will randomly shut off or not turn on sometimes. Once it "short circuits" it won't turn on again for a while - sometimes an hour, sometimes all day. At first I thought it was overheating, but when I was messing around with it, I found that if I unplug the HDMI cable after it shuts off, and sometimes just touch the metal of the HDMI cable to the metal mount (not the actual port) of the HDMI port it will turn back on, but not all the way. The fans will start going, but if I then plug the HDMI cable back in, it doesn't show anything on my monitor.

Can anyone explain this strange behavior?

Firstly did you bench test everything before installing into the case?

Are the standoffs in the correct place on the case and are you sure that no extra standoffs are under the motherboard causing it to short to the case?

Something is obviously shorting I would disassemble the machine and reassemble it paying attention to where you install the standoffs and for foreign objects that may have fallen behind the mobo. might be worth bench testing it first to figure out if anything in particular is causing the problem.

Your psu should grounds the case and motherboard so you want to ensure that your wall socket isn't damaged and has a working ground.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online