Mic isnt working

Liam2980

Hey guys I'm having trouble with my mic. I got a new gaming headset and when I plunged it in I learned that the only way I could get my mic to work is if I hold it right against my mouth and then all it picks up is earrape. So I returned it and bought a new headset only to find that I had the exact same problem. What can I do to fix this? I am using a Dell inspiron laptop with windows 10 if that's important.

The first thing I would do is download and install the newest soundcard driver from the Dell website and if you give us the exact model # we can help finding that.

Liam2980

The first thing I would do is download and install the newest soundcard driver from the Dell website and if you give us the exact model # we can help finding that.
Its a Dell Inspiron 5567.

Liam2980

Ok I installed the driver but I am still having the same problem.

Go into Control Panel, Sound, Recording (is top tab) and make sure the proper mic is checked for default as if you have a webcam as laptops do sometimes that takes over for default sound which would explain volume issue.

Liam2980

Go into Control Panel, Sound, Recording (is top tab) and make sure the proper mic is checked for default as if you have a webcam as laptops do sometimes that takes over for default sound which would explain volume issue.
that was the first thing I did. Its not that the mic isn't selected, it only works it I hold it right up to my lips. I also tested this on another windows 10 dell laptop with the same problem. And I tested two different mics and they both had the same issue.

Maybe the mics you are using are just junk have you tried the built in mic on the laptop to see if tthat works any better?

Liam2980

Maybe the mics you are using are just junk have you tried the built in mic on the laptop to see if tthat works any better?
Yeah. It works better, but the game I play, Tf2, won't work with the built in mic for some reason.

Plantronics are considered by most the best at moderate prices and they do have a factory store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online