Mic on PC only records audio output instead of my voice

Jj11411

I've tried downloading and uninstalling drivers, messing with settings, changing mics, using different mic ports on my computer... im frustrated and i have no clue how to fix it

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Hi Jj11411, and welcome to TSG.

I don't think anyone here either would have any clue as to how to fix your problem without any clue as to what you have. Please tell us the manufacturers and full model numbers of the computer and microphones. If it is a custom or modified computer, please give a bill of material for all of the major components. Also, please tell us the exact operating system running on the computer and if it came pre-installed on the computer or was an upgrade.

Has the microphone input ever worked on that computer?

Jj11411

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz CPU - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 1TB Hard Drive. mic is a neewer NW-700. I'm not sure if the mic has worked, i bought it off ebay and the previous owner said they only used USB. Audio drivers are reeltek, and it runs on windows 10 64-bit
Hi Jj11411, and welcome to TSG.

I don't think anyone here either would have any clue as to how to fix your problem without any clue as to what you have. Please tell us the manufacturers and full model numbers of the computer and microphones. If it is a custom or modified computer, please give a bill of material for all of the major components. Also, please tell us the exact operating system running on the computer and if it came pre-installed on the computer or was an upgrade.

Has the microphone input ever worked on that computer?

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Thank you for the answers. I believe that "CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop" describes a few different models. Is there a label on the desktop with an exact model number that probably starts with "GUA"?

I believe the Neewer NW-700 is a condenser microphone that requires a 48V DC phantom power source. Are you using an external phantom power supply, that may not come in the microphone's standard retail package, or confirmed your particular motherboard as a sufficient built-in phantom supply? Have you tested with a simple microphone that does not require a phantom supply?

Have you checked the Windows Hardware Device Manager for any errors or warnings for the sound drivers?

It might not hurt to check if the front panel audio jacks are connected to the motherboard.

Jj11411

Thank you for the answers. I believe that "CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop" describes a few different models. Is there a label on the desktop with an exact model number that probably starts with "GUA"?

I believe the Neewer NW-700 is a condenser microphone that requires a 48V DC phantom power source. Are you using an external phantom power supply, that may not come in the microphone's standard retail package, or confirmed your particular motherboard as a sufficient built-in phantom supply? Have you tested with a simple microphone that does not require a phantom supply?

Have you checked the Windows Hardware Device Manager for any errors or warnings for the sound drivers?

It might not hurt to check if the front panel audio jacks are connected to the motherboard.
its a GMA3000BST, i dont haven external supply, but the mic worked on my mac (because of an adapter) and any other mic i use also has the same issue, all drivers are updates and nothing seems to be wrong, no errors. Both the front and back have similar issues. I think it's a hardware problem but i'm not sure.

Jj11411

You need 48 volts to power that mic.
Source:
Thank you, but actually that wasnt the issue, i believe it was the actual hardware. When i bought a usb mic it worked fine, and when i used that mic without a powersource on a weaker computer it worked well. Thank you, though

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Thank you, but actually that wasnt the issue, i believe it was the actual hardware. When i bought a usb mic it worked fine, and when i used that mic without a powersource on a weaker computer it worked well. Thank you, though
I believe that some computer motherboards include some degree of phantom power for microphones that need it, but not all motherboards have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online