1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Mic problem...

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ejnah, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ejnah

ejnah Thread Starter

Hi.

So not too long ago i got myself new headphones, that dont have a mic. I did not know that at first, so i tried using them as a "headset" when my computer asked what the device is. As a result it now thinks there is a mic on the headphones, but there is not so i can't use my laptop built-in mic either. I can't just buy a mic either , because of a really dumb but present design issue with my laptop, it has only one audio port. So the only way i can get my mic to work was if i unplug the headphones which would not be ideal for playing games such as Overwatch and CS:GO where awareness is an important part of the gameplay.

Untill i figure out how to make the computer see the headphones as nothing but headphones and let me use my built-in mic, i can't play games where comms are required or talk with people through discord. So if anyone knows a solution to this i'd be thankful if you could help me out.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does sound come through the headset? If so, it is set to line out, which is what you want for a headset.

Other options, a) uninstall the device and set it up again b) buy a headset/mic combo, hopefully with a single plug c) buy a headset/mic combo with 2 plugs and then buy a splitter or d) buy a USB microphone.

example of a splitter for use in computers with one sound port
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech...3-Pin-3-5mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/16531375

3. Crookeandroe

Crookeandroe

You could try to access the HD Audio manager if you're using Realtek then double clicking the port then choosing headphones

4. ejnah

ejnah Thread Starter

How exactly do i open it though?

5. Crookeandroe

Crookeandroe

You can search "HD audio manager" next to the start button. Are you using windows 10?

6. ejnah

ejnah Thread Starter

Yes i am. But i've tried that and when i click on the program it doesn't open.

7. Crookeandroe

Crookeandroe

But you see it right? "HD audio manager?" If so it sounds like you'll need to update. The latest windows update should get it to work. :)

8. ejnah

ejnah Thread Starter

Allright, i'll give it a try once i get home. Thanks!

9. ejnah

ejnah Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! everything is working now.

10. Crookeandroe

Crookeandroe

Awesome! Great to hear! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice