Mic stops working when playing games AND using a chat app

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mdisil427

Hello, I'll try to explain it as simply as I can.

I'm having a problem whenever I open up a any game AND am using a chat app like discord or skype, after a few seconds, my mic stops working. If you look in the recording settings, the green bars are not showing up, so windows is not detecting my mic. The only way to temporarily fix the issue is by disabling/re enabling the mic I am using and leaving and rejoining the call. But the problem comes right back. There is no issue when I game/no chat app OR chat app/no game. Here is some information about what I am using.

My computer:

• Windows 10
  • i5 6600k
  • gtx 1070
  • Asus z170-ar motherboard
  • 16gb ram
  • 128gb ssd with OS / 500gb hard drive / 240gb ssd
  • Astro A50 (wireless) gen 3 with base station plugged into USB
What I am using:

• Discord
  • CS:GO
  • Arma 3
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
Things I have tried:

• Different headset, replaced it/tried other headsets and had the same issue
  • Tried different USB ports, and hubs.
  • disabled enhancements
  • tried every combination of setting default device but this is the one setting it should be on.

• went into power saving settings and disabled USB ports from sleeping
  • updated all audio drivers.
  • Re-installed windows
  • Tried running chat app in administrator mode
  • restarted computer ;)
Side notes:

• I don't think it's an issue with my mic.
  • If I use wired headphones the issue is not there, but I'm not settling for that, I need wireless headphones.
  • it's been happening for a while and i'm not sure what started to make it happen.
Any help would be awesome.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Just a thought, but if wired headset doesn't have any issues, then that likely means there's nothing wrong with the computer at that point.

I would look into replacing the wireless headset, or at least calling the tech support team for the company that made them.

mdisil427

Thanks for the reply.

I actually already have replaced the headset with a new one and it didn't fix anything. I also contacted the company and they weren't able to help either.

When I use the headset on Xbox it works fine. When I use the headset on PC without using 2 applications it works fine. The headset shows no sign of having a problem. It appears that windows stops detecting the input from the mic. It still sees the mic is connected, it just doesn't hear anything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts