1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mic volume lowers while recording

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by errorprone, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. errorprone

errorprone Thread Starter

i just purchased an hp pavilion notebook (zv5000) 3.0ghz, 1gb ddr sd ram, win xp home.
    i am trying to record guitar into it, which works pretty well, considering i dont have a 'line in', just a mic jack, which i plug directly into from the guitar, or line out from my amp, or my distortion pedal. all seem to work really well...for about the first three seconds of recording. then the volume starts lowering, and if i am running distortion (making the sound louder and more constant) the sound gets really garbled. i have an example of this, but apparantly i cant post anything that remotely resembles a link.

after the volume lowers, i can stop playing for about 3 seconds, and when i start again, the volume starts up where it should be, and then falls and gets garbled again.

this happens also if i record using an actual microphone, too.

i am recording into cool edit pro 2, but thats not the problem as it does the same thing when i record into windows sound recorder.

(this is my first post, so please let me know if this is in the wrong forum)

any ideas?

2. errorprone

errorprone Thread Starter

figured it out. if anyone's interested, i found that there was a setting for "noise reduction" that was turned on in my soundcard's settings. clicked it off, and now recordings come out great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice