1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

micr.exe - how to locate it and nuke it

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JoJoUK, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoJoUK

JoJoUK Thread Starter

A browsing utility tells me I have MIRC.EXE running on my system. I looked for it in the Task Manager but couldn't find it. I looked for it in WinPatrol (active tasks and services) but couldn't find it. I searched my whole C drive for the file but couldn't find it. I searched in DOS (c:\> dir mirc.exe /s /ah ) but couldn't find it.

Then I read on various websites that it is frequently used as a host for trojans... that it frequently hides itself (you can say that again)... and that it uses a lot of processing power. My laptop has been getting very hot with the fan going full pelt all the time - so that figures.

Does anyone know what mirc.exe does, and how I can unhide it and, if necessary, disable it? (I don't run any IRC services.) Even if it's legitimate I don't like having hidden stuff on my computer doing god-knows-what!

Thanks

2. pip22

pip22

MIRC.exe is categorized as:
    Trojan/Hacker Tool

Hacker tools are utilities designed to help hackers gain control of remote computers in order to use them as zombies (in DoS attacks, for example), download other malicious programs into those computers, or use them for other malicious purposes. So you need expert help from the malware forum. We can't help you remove it on the Windows forums as it's against the rules.

Please post here: http://forums.techguy.org/54-virus-other-malware-removal/

Unfortunately the web is full of fake security software claiming to get rid of mirc.exe, when in fact all you would really be doing is installing even more malware

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    When you do your post in the malware removal forum, please remember to read this sticky and follow the instructions contained therein.

4. JoJoUK

JoJoUK Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I'll go to the other forum :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!