1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Micro SD card acting real funny

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoblinShark, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoblinShark

GoblinShark Thread Starter

I had purchased a MICRO CENTER brand SD card about a year ago but hadn't had the chance to use it until now so it's new. I stuck it in my Nook Simple Touch and it failed to format several times. I stuck it into its adapter and formatted it in windows and it first gave me a reading of 3.80 GB and then i formatted it again thinking it or i was mistaken and now it's giving me 1.99 GB. It says MICRO CENTER right on the card so i doubt it's a ''ebay'' fakester card or at least i hope not.

It's a class 10 32GB HC Micro SD with MICRO CENTER brand lettering right on the thing. I plucked it from the storage section of the store i didn't purchase it from the front counter where their cards don't come in packaging.

Are there any tools i should know about to get a better understanding of what exactly is going on?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can try this free program, it writes files onto the device then verifies them, it adds the total size of the files it writes and gives you the total capacity of the card. It won't overwrite any files already on the card but to test it properly it's best to (quick) format the card before running the test. There's a readme file in the download that goes in to more detail.

http://download1uk.softpedia.com/dl...c76/100149366/software/system/h2testw_1.4.zip

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is a possibility that it is just a faulty card. I have had Brand New cards in the past that were faulty from the manufacturer. I now use nothing but Sandisk cards or PNY cards, I have never had a faulty one from either manufacturer. They cast a bit more than the Store Brand cards but to me they are worth it.

4. GoblinShark

Neat little program. It looks like I've been bested by a schemer because it only reads 2047mb and i was really counting on this card because this is my last. I only own 1 other and that guy is in my mp3 player.

I'm going to continue to run this software on my other never used SD cards.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's a handy program to have.

I think there are a lot of fake Usb sticks and SD cards, especially if you buy from China.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds as though that card has been partitioned/formatted incorrectly as Fat16.
    I have several makes of flash card and so far all have been OK, though some HAVE been incorrectly formatted. I always take the time to do the job properly since they tend to be mass formatted at the factory and bad sectors/cells not recognised and substituted for the spare ones.
    First use a disk partitioning tool to see if it is recognised at all and if so what as? You may be able to repartition it as a single partition to its full size and then format it as FAT32 or whatever.

7. GoblinShark

You know what you are right. I didn't see it at first because i had been so long but i had utilized the card sometime in the past i don't remember when but i installed the RISC OS. RISC OS is one of the optional operating systems that comes standard with NOOBS Raspberry Pi Arm installer. The Noobs installer created partitions fat/kernel/boot sct ect but the only reason i would of found out is because another 32GB SD card that i had already installed NOOBS on was laying around so i compared. The only differences/similarities in my comparison was Raspbian installation on this card wouldn't format properly in windows just like last time but the scale in partition size wasn't the same. (SD Card Association Formatter) is what i used to get everything back to normal.

THANKS mentioning that

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice